Welcome, Guest

Poll

What do I do with cranky neighbors

move them
12 (70.6%)
sell them
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Neighbor's are mad  (Read 11940 times)

Offline Nett

• New Bee
Re: Neighbor's are mad
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 12:59:57 am »
kilowatts,
I sent you a PM.
Nett

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 07:33:49 pm »
As much as I am upset with your short sighted neighbor,  I must agree that 6 hives is a bit much for a city lot.  You might find an outyard somewhere for 3 of them and enjoy it for making splits and selling or expanding.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 08:54:28 pm »
i wouldn't worry about it.  do some stuff to try and aleave the problem and just let it go.  some people can't be reasoned with no matter how hard you try and they seem to be that type.  i'd just forget about it maybe try to hide the hives with some shrubs and see if the problem doesn't go away.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Grant11

• New Bee
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 10:13:44 pm »
Change my vote tell the neighbors to move.

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 10:52:13 pm »
Kilowatt:

You seem like a reasonable, intelligent and caring person.  I think you will find a good solution.  For what it's worth, my suggestions are to cover the pool for a few days and try the lemongrass idea.  I have also read that disolved salts in the water attracts bees.
Good luck.

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 10:22:09 pm »
I'd say that you "might" have too many hives... I'd try to kotow (a nice word for kissing butt) this neighbor, as fall and winter are coming fast, and the bee populations will decline as well as foraging. Than, I'd try to have an attractive (for the bees) water station of some sort ready for the spring. I'd recomend a distinct aroma/smell for your water, such as the lemmongrass mentioned. Hopefully, in the spring the bees will use your fresh water supply.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »
If it's against the law, move them.  If it's not, tell the neighbors to move the fish.  They are keeping an attractive nuisance.  Some child will fall in and die.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 07:18:48 am »
Just a thought... call your neighbor back and tell them you got rid of your bees over a week ago... (prior to their call about the bees being everywhere)... yes, lie to them.  Odds are they will completely forget about the bees, because I have a feeling there aren't that many around them to begin with it's just the thought of your hive being so close that's getting to them... oh, and do as budhanes suggested and give them a different water supply in the spring.

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2008, 12:37:55 am »
I recently visited the Middle East on a business trip. While there I went out of my way and drove to every bee yard I could get to.  One of the hosts had
50 hives 2 deep high in the middle of town with a backyard smaller than an average suburban yard in New Jersey.  No one bothered....! Neighbors got his honey after they paid!!!!!

There is no place like home! But I second the opinion that we live in communities filled with people who feels too important to let a bee visit their flowers or get a drink from their pond.....! How dare people keep a hive in their yard, or do anything without calling the Police and town inspectors for the least violation (ture or imagined).  Like my neighbor who complained the other that he was buzzed by one of my beees. I told him, I am very sorry it did not take a dump on his head! He just walked away......! I have a single hive in the yard and most of my neighbors do not give a darn! However, on the block there is one or two nit-wits... who can't seem to want to live or breath without calling to complain about my bees who are all over their BBQ meat and nesting on their deck???????????????? Last time he called to say my bees are nesting on his deck (Yellow jacks) so I told him to shove off!  He came over and I wanted to get physical but my wife was there and I did not want her to be upset :-x

Any way...... Two more years and I would have my country home with 15 acres and no neighbors! 

I feel your pain!
-Rodni 

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:20 am »
I have to agrree that there are not enough options on your poll.
There is no place to check ( Give them to CBEE ).   :-D

Now if you won't give them to me then I would give them another source of water before I did anything else. Go to home depot and get a couple of those imitation half barrels. Fill them up and stick a couple pond plants in them in the spring. They like plants like water lettuce and lillys that they can land on easy.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 12:24:47 pm »
Now if you won't give them to me then I would give them another source of water before I did anything else. Go to home depot and get a couple of those imitation half barrels. Fill them up and stick a couple pond plants in them in the spring. They like plants like water lettuce and lillys that they can land on easy.

That's a great idea.  Makes it a bit more eye pleasing.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 02:15:43 pm »
My neighbors koi pond is loaded w/ my bees. They do absolutely no harm to anything. It is entirely possible there is a yellow jacket nest adjacent to filters. Its their ideal nesting site and the response is YJ like. Go do another visual. Even if town hall comes up w/ new egs, they wont apply to you pursuant to ex poste facto protection.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline kilowatts

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 02:36:36 pm »
 :-x

It's official now.  The Deer Park Police came to my house yesterday and verbally told me to move the bees in 10 days.  No written notification.  Just 10 days....  I have a place to move them, it's just the idea of it all that makes me so upset.

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 03:11:10 pm »
There has to be a way to appeal this situation, and I wouldn't do a thing unless it's in writing.  They may just be telling you this without it being legally binding.  I would demand a written order so that you can then go through the right channels to appeal it.  If they can't give you something in writing, then it's fishy...

Good luck, so sorry for this frustrating situation.

Nelly

Offline nkybeekeeper

• New Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 03:19:20 pm »
Although it sounds really nice to demand a written order from the local police, in no way are the police obligated to put anything in writing.  You were told to move them (similar to being told to disperse or move your car, or any other verbal order).  I would be very careful about how you handle this from this point forward.  Perhaps contacting a senior officer at the station, going and talking with them about the situation, etc.  In other words, find out about how to challenge the ordinance or whatever they are referring to.  This would be better than in 10 days having them come back and arresting you for failure to comply.

I feel for you, but unfortunately this is the world we live in today and some people just are not up for honeybees in their backyard, no matter how important to the food chain they are.  Keep us informed.

I'm just across the river from you in Burlington (by the airport)!

www.nkybeekeeper.com 

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 04:23:11 pm »
Have you talked to a lawyer yet?  That's your absolute best bet.  If you don't want to do that, then moving/selling them may be your only option... well... that, or you could bring them all inside like OB hives... with a very discreet entrance somewhere that wouldn't get noticed.  The cops can't search your house without either your permission, a search warrant (which they definately won't be able to get), or probable cause (which they won't have as long as the entrances are discreet).

Then egg your neighbor's car while it's still hot enough to bake it on.   :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 06:19:32 pm »
Nelly, contact code enforcement and ask to see a copy of beekeeping ordinance in your locale. If there is some kind of ordinance read it carefully, you may even ask to see an officer in code enforcement so they can explain  your rights to you.

In my neck of the woods its code enforcement that has the upper hand not the cops.

If you are within your county's rights and attain proper documentation to keep your bees, then you could show this to the police and they will more than likely back off.

If you do not legally have the right to keep bees in your yard and because your situation has escalated, you are asking for trouble if you don't move your bees.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 09:25:05 pm »
I agree with JP. Find out why it is that the police are telling you move your bees.  There is no sense defying the order outright or trying silly little tricks to avoid detection.  When the police tell you to do something, you do it unless someone else with more power tells the police you do not have to comply.  It is that simple. As for the laws of search and seizure, your best bet is to speak to a licensed attorney in your jusrisdction because I can assure you that advice on the topic you have received here is ill conceived and completely wrong.
Brian

Offline Nelly

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 12:31:05 am »
I am not encouraging anyone to defy the police.  I just think it is reasonable to request some sort of written notice, outlining the exact nature of the violation and the deadline.  The police obviously believe she is breaking a law or ordinance.  However, the law may actually be on her side.  She needs to educate herself.

And I still believe that if they aren't willing to put it in writing, then perhaps it isn't exactly "by the book." 

A lawyer is a good idea, I would certainly be calling one to learn what my rights are.

Nelly

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:24 am »
I am not encouraging anyone to defy the police.  I just think it is reasonable to request some sort of written notice, outlining the exact nature of the violation and the deadline.  The police obviously believe she is breaking a law or ordinance.  However, the law may actually be on her side.  She needs to educate herself.

And I still believe that if they aren't willing to put it in writing, then perhaps it isn't exactly "by the book." 

A lawyer is a good idea, I would certainly be calling one to learn what my rights are.

Nelly

She needs to look at the ordinance and if its on the books she needs to abide by its set of rules.

Hiring an attorney is going to do what exactly?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything