Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newb - Too late to order equipment and bees?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Sundance

• New Bee
Newb - Too late to order equipment and bees?
« on: March 15, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »
Hello All,

I am starting from the ground up and am afraid I may have missed my spring window.  When is the optimum time for NW Arkansas? 

Any recommendations on where to order equipment and bees?

I have a country neighbor that has a dozen hives and I've thought about introducing myself and seeing if he has any used equipment or entire setups he might have for sale.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
S u n d a n c e

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Newb - Too late to order equipment and bees?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 03:44:57 pm »
If he is willing, your neighbor will be your best source. It is not to late to order bees or equipment but you will be late getting started thus increasing your chance for failure. A nuc would have a better chance with a late start vs a package.

Talk to your neighbor and scope out other beeks and clubs in your area.

Good luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:05:55 pm »
Yes, do talk to your neighbor, he'll be a good close friend and mentor who just might let you have a hive of your own, or make up a split for you to have. Beware tho, this is very addictive habbit errr, I mean hobby to get into!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:17:48 pm »
There is LOTS OF MONEY in BEES....................YOURS!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:28:09 pm »
no its not to late......  you can put out a new hive as late as june 1st in your area and still have time to collect stores for winter (probly no extra for you though that late)......  Hollar if you need some suggestons on where to buy.

Charlie

anything