Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Boxes out of OSB?  (Read 14395 times)

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Boxes out of OSB?
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:58:29 am »
   I was wondering what anyone thought about using OSB to make boxes? I got a sheet of it the other day for $11 at home Depot. It looks like I can get 5 maybe 6 mediums out of it. Cheep Cheep. Any reason not to use OSB? I already have made tops and bottom boards out of ply seems to work great.

Alfred

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Boxes out of OSB?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:08:42 am »
I think you will have problems with it absorbing moisture like a sponge and expanding. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:23 am »
I don't know if I trust the chemicals.  Could have problems like the sheetrock being imported from China!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:17:56 am »
As Robo mentioned OSB is very absorbant, the main issue I see is it rotting out on you.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:49 am »
Not being very knowledgable about these things I am wondering if Plywood would work? I have used it for tops and bottoms and they seem fine and do not absorb moisture much. I paint them of course. For that matter wouldn't painting protect the OSB?

Just so much cheeper than boards, and so far seems a lot easier to cut than ripping boards to proper width.

Alfred

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:45:58 am »
Alfred, I don't paint the inside of my hives for acceptance reasons but if I used OSB I would, but would have to let them air out an awful long time before use.

By all means experiment with it if you like, its just that OSB is extremely absorbant and has a tendency to rot fairly quickly. Then there are warpage issues you may run into as well.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
I salvage almost anything wood I find. Part of the fun in this hobby for me is spending as little as possible. I am also a contractor though and I know building materials pretty well. That said, I have not and would not use OSB for boxes. After letting it air out I do sometimes use it for tops and inner covers. I use solid wood for boxes but would use plywood for sides of boxes if I had solid ends on them. I also use plywood for tops, inner covers, and bottoms. I do not ever use MDF, it is junk and a waste of time and money even if it is free. If I use OSB or plywood I paint both sides.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 11:55:31 pm »
I got a sheet of it the other day for $11 at home Depot.

You paid to much. I saw it for $5.98 per sheet at our Home Depot.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:19:54 pm »
It's ok if you're absolutely desperate for a box to catch a swarm in, but don't use it for more than a few days.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 04:00:54 pm »
OSB won't hold up to the weather very well.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:28 pm »
Well since the overwhelming consensus is not to use OSB I gave up on it and bought some pine boards and I'm going to use that. Thanks everyone for the input.
Alfred

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:17 pm »
You Sir are a wise man! :lol:

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 12:53:03 am »
Bees don't like OSB.  It is toxic.  I used some OSB for emergency lids and they propolysed the entire area exposed to them.  Additionally, too much airing out OSB makes my head spin.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 09:58:16 am »
Made 8 meduims yesterday out of #3 pine. Turned out ok.  I think I spent $30 on the boards. Probably could have gotten 9 out of it if I hadn't messed up a couple of cuts, also the #3 grade had a few rough spots that I couldn't use. Need a few more but I am also thinking about frames.

Alfred

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »
I was a roofing contractor for about ten years.  OSB will hold up better than plywood when rained on any day of the week.  A new roof with plywood can warp easily if rained on in one day and ply's may separate.  I have seen more than one roof on a home being built that had OSB on it come through winter unprotected (due to builders losing credit of funding from bank) still flat and un-warped after all the snow ice and rain.  Unbelievable but true.  That said I would not advise using for bee supers but have seen nucs maid of them and see no reason not to use osb for that.  I would make sure I painted all sides and put smooth side in to prevent propolis buildup. Yes it will absorb moisture over time if not protected and is full of chemicals (glue) so paint well. 

Just thought Id share what I know.  Beek on, Beek's
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 10:16:55 pm »
Just something to keep in mind.  Not all OSB is created equal.  It has an exposure rating.  An exposure rating of 1(i thnk) indicates that it can survive unprotected for a period of time.  Interior grade OSB will not and will start to swell and flake almost immediately.  That said there are several grades of plywood that can stand a good bit of moisture as well.  The most indestructible stuff I have seen is Advantec brand subflooring(not their regular siding/roofing OSB).  Doesn't take a degree to realize that the more weather resistant it is the more glue it is impregnated with, not too mention they are really heavy when compared to the usual pine or cypress hive body.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 10:56:04 pm »
I use scrap Advantec to make bottom boards and hive tops. The tops do not blow off in the wind!

Steve

Offline Need2BEE

• New Bee
  • God Bless America
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 01:07:12 am »
What about using Cedar fence boards?  I have a couple dozen of them ...Will the bees not like the smell of cedar.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 09:23:43 am »
I've never looked at the old fence boards I have around. Of course if you buy them new they cost more than the pine I am now using. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the boards, I'll have to look might be a great idea.

I did use that piece of osb to make tops and bottom boards seem to work great. Although I have been doing ssb's untill now these bottom boards will do fine untill I can make more of those and the tops I made are perfect with the stuff.

Alfred

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 11:39:38 am »
I've used it when I could get scrap for free.  It does not age well.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:34 am »
What about using Cedar fence boards?  I have a couple dozen of them ...Will the bees not like the smell of cedar.

I've always found that bees seem to do better in cedar than in pine.  I will take a cedar hive over a pine one any day.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:37 am »
I've always found that bees seem to do better in cedar than in pine.  I will take a cedar hive over a pine one any day.

I wonder why.

Offline bfriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 03:24:28 am »
Not to give you any ideas but I bought some equipment from a guy who made everything himself, frames included.  About 3/4 of his boxes were osb and they obviously had bees in them for years and years.  He painted the inside and outside.  I didn't take any of these...

I have used osb (actually primarily osb siding) for lids and nuc boxes, but wouldn't use it on anything that you have exposed to the weather over winter.

I have made plenty of equipment out of scrap ply...  It does warp, but...free is free

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:52 pm »

Most of the cedar fencing I've seen is too thin for my tastes.  If it was a full 3/4" thick and not so dry it would split, I would use them.

anything