Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help. Building comb on underside of inner cover.  (Read 4545 times)

Offline MalusEstes

• New Bee
Help. Building comb on underside of inner cover.
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:28:09 pm »
I hope this question isn't asked ever 5 minutes.

Got my first package of bees 4 days ago. Went in for my first inspection today and they've built a big piece of comb hanging from the underside of the inner cover. I have one 8 frame medium with frames and one empty medium with a gravity feeder in it.

If I just need to add a body with new frames, how do I get the bees off the renegade hanging comb and clean up this mess?

Thanks,
Marc

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Help. Building comb on underside of inner cover.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 01:43:53 pm »
Shake them off the comb. Remove the comb and attach it to a frame.

Offline MalusEstes

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:08:05 pm »
Got it. Thank you.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 06:06:53 am »
Using a mat ontop of the frames adds a barrier that makes them less eager to put comb on the lid.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 07:14:50 pm »
Using a mat ontop of the frames adds a barrier that makes them less eager to put comb on the lid.

and encourages SHB so be on your toes
David L

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:15:59 pm »
Shake them off the comb. Remove the comb and attach it to a frame.
What's your preferred method to attach comb to a frame?

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:16:56 pm »
It does? I suppose that makes sense, gives them a safe haven. I've always used one, as was taught by me. The few times I haven't, I found that the bees built burr comb all over the lid. Is it not standard to use a hive mat? Is there merits for not using one? One of my sites is now infected with SHB.

Offline MalusEstes

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:11 pm »
 I second yes2matt's question. What is a good way to attach loose comb to a frame (an empty foundationless frame in my case).

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:12 pm »
Rubber bands. If it doesn't reach the bottom bar, just press the wax onto the top bar and have the rubber bands for lateral support.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »
Rubber bands. If it doesn't reach the bottom bar, just press the wax onto the top bar and have the rubber bands for lateral support.
Sorry to be a dim bulb, I'm understanding you to mean to put a rubber band longways around the whole frame, with the comb installed there, so the bees will just work around it until they get the sides/bottom attached, then remove the rubber band later. I was going to try something much more difficult. :)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:17:41 am »
Make sure you put the comb in the same way it came out of the hive. Cells are slightly tilted upward. If you put it in upside down it'll just hang there. The bees may re work it but I don't know.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:36:52 am »
This is a new package. You are feeding them. They are building comb. Don't worry about attching this wax to the top bar of the frame. Put four rubberbands around the top and bottom bar of the frame. Cut the comb and rest it on the bottom bar of the frame, all the way to the side of the frame so that it touches the side-bar. Slide the rubber bands over the comb to hold it upright. By the way, the wax is probably too sift for an of this. If you can't salvage it, don't worry.

For your feeder set up....If you are going to put an empty box on top of a colony, you should probably fill the void space around the feeder with crumpled up paper of some kind. It's a void space in the cavity where the bees are building their home. It is natural for them to go as high as they can in the void, and start building. It would be simpler to get a division board feeder, or go with one of those screened feeder board covers like David Burns builds. That would allow you to use jars as gravity feeders in the top, but would not allow the bees to get into the box around the feeder.

Offline orin

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:45:14 pm »
I had the same problem.... I ended up having about 4 combs to take off the cover and what I did was i put the in a foundationless frame and they were'nt quite wide enough to touch both top and bottom bar so i sat it on the bottom bar and used rubber bands to hold it in place. its been about 3 weeks since ive done it and the comb that was rubber banded is completely attached to top and bottom bar. just make sure the comb is in the frames nice and straight. My bees are building alot of comb that seems to keep wondering away from the top bar and i've also had two combs on one frame which was kind of interesting lol so i guess what im trying to say is if the comb starts going in a wrong direction correct as soon as you can cause it doesnt take long for it to get messy
Orin Hayes

anything