Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings all! Room for one more?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Rusted!

• New Bee
Greetings all! Room for one more?
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:43:56 pm »
Hello to one and all.  Hope you can stand to share your information to another new B.  Just received my bees this evening and installed.  Great spring day for installing bees here in south central Ohio.  Install went well.  Will be asking lots of questions, and have learned a lot from just the short time I have been lurking.  Know there are some sharp people on here,and look forward to exchanging info with all.
If i can, i am off to post a quick question already,  and see what else I can learn.  :)
thanks for your time.
Rusted!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Greetings all! Room for one more?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:40:12 pm »
Welcome to the forums!!! We got plenty of room, come on in! Good job on the installation. Well, what's that question?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Rusted!

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:37:45 am »
Hi JP.
Question was, do I leave the entrance reducer on as soon as I hive the new bees, and for how long.   :)  Looks like that has been answered many times, and I was able to gain info that yes it is advisable to leave in place until I notice bees crowding entrance.  Just had to do search. :oops:
One other thing is the amount of bees left in the package.  Tapping and shaking didn't remove all the bees, and I placed the remainder close to the entrance hoping they would find their way in.  I will check this out this evening when I return from work.  Hope this was the correct thing to do?
Rusted!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:09:08 am »
Hello and welcome!

Quote from: Rusted!
One other thing is the amount of bees left in the package.  Tapping and shaking didn't remove all the bees, and I placed the remainder close to the entrance hoping they would find their way in. Hope this was the correct thing to do?
Bingo! You're off to a great start.
Let's see you've already used the 'search' function and you've got your location posted, so all that's left for me to say in my welcoming comments is to encourage you to get involved with a local beekeeping club:
http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/Regional%20%26%20County%20Clubs/countyclubs.html
Clubs are great places to meet nearby beeks and learn many of the "location-specific" aspects of beekeeping; everything from where to buy supplies to when things bloom to who you will let you borrow an extractor!

Good Luck!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:29:10 am »
Ditto! If you're ever in a jam & don't have an entrance reducer, you can always stuff some grass in the entrance to achieve the same effect. The stragglers will find their way.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:52:59 am »
Rusted.  Welcome to our forums.  A great place to learn, you have been lurking around here you say, that is good, and then now you have actually joined in.  We have tons and tons of room for new members to come in and tell us their experiences, ask questions, whatever it is.  We do have some really sharp beekeepers here that love to answer questions, ask any question that you need to, if you don't get the answer you are searching for, ask the question again. 

What an exciting thing to hive that first package of bees eh?  Good for you, and you ain't seen nothin' yet, wait until that spell of the honeybee takes effect, and it has probably already begun to work its magic.  Excellent.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, lovin' our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything