Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: perferated foundation corners and beginning hive configuration  (Read 1938 times)

Offline goertzen29

• House Bee
Hello, we got a call friday that our bees were coming today(Sunday), not much advance notice considering our foundation and final hive parts didnt come until saturday :-\.  So I spent about 5 hours yesterday putting foundation in frames and getting things ready.  I noticed (not right away) that my plasticell foundation has perferated corners, which I assume can be broken off so the bees can travel easier between the frames. 

Is it recommended that I break these corners off?

And, most of these corners happen to be on top because of the way I had my stack of foundation sitting as I was assembling them, does it matter if this hole is on the top rather than the bottom of the foundation?

And one final question, I'm getting ready to watch the install video again (which is very helpful) and I'm wondering if I ought to start my hives with just one deep and one medium or what is recommended as far as beginning hive configuration?  I have enough for 2 deeps and 3 mediums for each hive, but I wasnt thinking I should start with all of it.

I appreciate any advice
Jay

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: perferated foundation corners and beginning hive configuration
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 03:16:41 pm »
Hi Jay,

Usually the holes in foundation for deep frames go to the bottom but I really don't think it matters.

Start your packages off in a single deep box and provide them with a feed of 1:1 sugar water to help them generate the wax required to draw the foundation out.  Keep an eye on the syrup and top as needed.  They can use it up really quickly while building wax  :-D

Good luck with your bees and let us know how you're getting on.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:22:05 pm »
I break them off if it's convenient.  I don't if it's not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline goertzen29

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »
Michael Bush...the same one with the website?!  I was just on that earlier today (very helpful) and here you are from Nebraska too, how cool!

thank you both for the thoughts.

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »
 I do not think it would matter a lot if they are on top or bottom. They are actually made to go in the bottom corners. If you leave them in you will be fine. I use wax foundation and there are no holes for them to travel through in the wax ones. I do have 1 hive with plasyicell in it and they filled the holes with comb anyway. So I would tell ya leave em as is.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:54:11 pm »
>Michael Bush...the same one with the website?!

That's me.

> I was just on that earlier today (very helpful)

Thanks.

> and here you are from Nebraska too, how cool!

Yes.  You should come to the Nebraska Beekeepers Association meetings now and then.  :)  The next one is in Mead, but typically they are in Lincoln or Omaha or thereabouts. The one in May is going to be near Beatrice.  The date of the Beatrice meeting, I believe is going to change, however.

http://www.nebraskabeekeepers.org/calendar.asp
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:39:34 pm »
MB

Have you ever drilled holes in your PF120's to help the bees/queen go from frame to frame?  IA:  Interesting they filled those holes in the plasiticell,  when I do cutouts the bees have holes going all through the comb.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

anything