Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TOP ENTRANCE  (Read 1661 times)

Offline trimman

• New Bee
TOP ENTRANCE
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:28:41 pm »
i am trying a top entrance on one of my hives with a sbb and was wondering about the bottom entrance close it off completely or leave a small gap so they can bring the dead out just wondering thanks

Offline rober

• Field Bee
Re: TOP ENTRANCE
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:32:45 pm »
i leave the bottom open unless i'm having a problem. i put an entrance reducer on in the winter.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 11:12:00 pm »
i leave the bottom open unless i'm having a problem. i put an entrance reducer on in the winter.

That's the best way to go.  Top entrance will reduce bearding as airflow becomes natural over bees forcing it in  and up one side then down and out the other.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:48:04 am »
Ask a bunch of bee keepers and get about 15 different answers  :)

So for my two cents, I would just go with a top entrance and close up the bottom entrance.  I have hives that run the gamut of entrance configurations; top or bottom or middle.  No matter which, I only keep one entrance open.  The bees are perfectly capable of keeping the bottom of their hive clean with only a middle or top entrance.  They just drag the dead up and drop them outside the door.  As Brian says, less beading with a top or middle entrance.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:13:48 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline trimman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »
thank all of you very much for your help