Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sad little pecan trees  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
Sad little pecan trees
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:08:11 am »
In our ever growing quest to do all we can to keep from going to town.. We purchased several trees this year. Apples, peaches, pears and pecans that all came from a reputable grower. Everything but the pecan trees have leaves now and is clearly doing quite well. The sad little pecans trees were hardly more than twigs and show no signs of coming out of dormancy. They've been in the ground nearly 3 weeks. We are right on the edge of zone 4-5 and I wonder if its just not too cold for them still. I only have a week left in my 30 day return window. I am not sure if I should give up and contact the grower or just wait it out.

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
Re: Sad little pecan trees
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:00:54 pm »
Just contact the grower and explain everything you told us. They should either replace them, or give you the information you sought from us. This way if they are dead, you will not have to worry about not getting a return.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:05:31 pm »
I second avenger, bring your receipt. If they offer to extend the return period, make 'em give you something in writing.
I've only been burned for a couple plum trees (anyone ever hear of 'west building materials' where the customer is never right - had problems with that manager twice, told everyone I knew, but the chain was out of business before too long anyway.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Rebecka

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:34:00 pm »
Thanks guys. I went ahead and gave them a call. They are sending out replacements and a couple of cherry trees for our trouble.

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:23:37 am »
There ya go! little extra bonus too!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »
I tried pecans (The Missouri hardy kind) and they just didn't last.  I am also on the border of zone 4 and 5.  I hope yours do better, but I have decided that if it isn't zone 4 hardy it's not worth it.  But OH! do I understand the temptation!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"