Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starter Strips and converting to "natural"  (Read 14932 times)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
Starter Strips and converting to "natural"
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:14:55 pm »
So, I have all these frames that I have started putting together and some wax foundation...I ordered some random stuff to see what it was like to get a better hands on feel for it.  COuld I use these "samples" of pure beeswax foundation (thin surplus for example) and use it as a starter strip in a wedge and groove frame?  I accidentally ordered a pound of deep and I am using mediums only.  So, I was wondering if I could simply tack them in staple/nail the wedge with about 1/8" of the foundation showing and will this be enough for them to go to town on.

I just hate wasting stuff, but the more I read the more I want to start natural and attain small cell.

Anyone?

I have yet to find anyone local who is doing this, they are either doing large cell no treat (or light treat - SBB and powder sugar) or completely chemical.

Thanks in advance!
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Starter Strips and converting to "natural"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 07:23:58 pm »
the wax foundation works great for starter strips.  i'll share what i found this year.  1st, you only need a very thin strip.  my first were to wide.  the best i did were about 3 rows of cells wide.  2nd, the wedge is not enough to hold the strip.  they will build and maybe even start to fill before they have fully attached the comb, and it may sag in the heat.  melt some wax and poor it along the wedge after you have it reattached with the strips in.  i used a glass syringe, but there is a device that is designed just for this.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=231
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 11:45:49 pm »
I cut them about 3/4" of an inch and that leaves a row or two of cells showing.  Anything will work for a starter strip.  Plain wax, whatever.  You're on the right track but I'd leave a 1/4" to 1/2" showing, not 1/8".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:35:45 am »
Yeah, it works great.  It isn't an easy way to small/natural cell, however.

Be aware and read about it a little before dropping them into your hive.  If you just put a couple of frames w/ starters into the existing brood nest, they will draw all drone comb, which isn't necessarily bad.  It just takes a little bit different type of management.

It works fine in the supers, but since they will draw really large cell up there, the  queen will get up there quicker.

If you have a box of starters and put a swarm on it, they will draw it out pretty nice.

Rick
Rick

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:55:24 am »
Thanks for the answers so far guys. 

I would be doing this on package bees in brand new boxes and frames.

So, ok, here is the next question.  Will they run it around wires if I string them across the frame and leave a starter strip?

Man, I was already to start 4 new boxes then I got started on this and now its like everything I was planning on doing has simply sent me on a new course of questions that I cannot find answers to in the books I have Nd everyone locally has done it the traditional route.

So I am asking a whole lot of simple questions here...or maybe not.

I'll do a couple test runs and then post them after I get enough ideas crammed into my head.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 10:36:40 am »
I don't think you need wires in a brood box....they are mostly to hold things together in an extractor.
I installed 3 packages last spring into boxes with starter strip frames only and they drew them out nicely, for the most part. I had to correct them in a few spots but they caught on after a while.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:43:47 pm »
Will they run it around wires if I string them across the frame and leave a starter strip?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 02:41:39 pm »
Man, I was already to start 4 new boxes then I got started on this and now its like everything I was planning on doing has simply sent me on a new course of questions that I cannot find answers to in the books I have Nd everyone locally has done it the traditional route.

Yeah, welcome to my life....most of the answers are already here, somewhere buried in the past.  It is fun, rewarding, and often frustrating when experimenting with non-traditional stuff.

If they have a good flow, they will draw the wax mostly with the wires in the wax.  During slow times, they will sometime recycle some of the wax by the wire so there will be a little dip where the wires are.  But for the most part it is fine.

And you don't NEED wires, although they are nice.  Even if you just wire a big X it will hold the comb in.  Mostly the wires are needed during the hot days when you do inspections, in the brood box.  They won't always attach the bottoms and sides and that will make the comb rather delicate.

Rick
Rick

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 08:58:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for the input.

One worry out of the way.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 02:56:21 pm »
I am REALLY wanting to go small cell. Can I ask what might be stupid question???? I will probably find the answer as I keep reading, but can I not use a sheet of small cell wax with wire in it??? Or do they not make it?

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 03:13:58 pm »
I am REALLY wanting to go small cell. Can I ask what might be stupid question???? I will probably find the answer as I keep reading, but can I not use a sheet of small cell wax with wire in it??? Or do they not make it?

Yes, they make it. Crimped wire small cell.  Its rather expensive, though not nearly as expensive as HSC.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 03:23:38 pm »
I will probably go with a new hive when I do it. Al the other switching over things I have read may be too confusing for me now. I started with two hives 9 months ago and have 8 now. Never thought I would enjoy it this much. I am no match for my two boys' love though. They want to go in the hives everyday, no jole! I wish I would have know about THIS forum before I started. I would have went small cell from the beginning. Better late than never!!!

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 03:24:54 pm »
By the way...would it be easier to start with: 1)swarm 2)split 3)just dump the bees in a new box and let them go!!!

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 03:35:26 pm »
I am no match for my two boys' love though. They want to go in the hives everyday, no jole! I wish I would have know about THIS forum before I started.

Sounds like you should get an observation hive.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 10:07:22 am »
LocustHoney.  You said something in a prior post about "a stupid question".  Nope, there is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum. Always remember....ask any question that you want, no matter if in your own mind you think it dumb.  No so.

Look what you have done, yea!!!  You have now 8 hives, you have instilled a love of the bees with your two children, that is so wonderful.  They will be your helpers, they will be your extra eyes.  They will spot any swarms (hopefully there won't be any, hee, hee) that may issue from your colonies.  It is amazing what 4 extra eyes can do around a place, hee, hee,  :) :)

Good, now you have these little farmhands that will carry on with this love of the bees that has become a part of your life, yea!!!  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi. 

I love that song "Teach your children well."  (I don't like the second sentence in it though,  :roll: ;) :)  Remember that one?  By Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 11:55:03 pm »
Cindi you are so right!! My son has figured out a way to stop the robbers without reading any books. He uses his imagination and he thinks like a bee no matter how crazy it is!!! He has come up with simple solutions that only a child who knows no limits to the mind can do. Child like faith. This thing called beekeeping is a world in itself. An eternity in the middle of eternity. We get lost in it and somedays never want to find our way out of it. The other most valuable thing that I have gotten from beekeeping is this forum and meeting other beeks. They are some of the most fascinating people from ALL walks of life. We feel truly blessed by what we have been given.

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 04:40:50 pm »
I sort of stumbled into bee keeping 2 months ago when i tried to rescue a wild hive that was in a tree that had been cut down and was due to be removed. Unfortunately the bee's didn't survive. However I've got bitten by the bug big style. I was given a Langston hive that had had wax moth damage in the brood box. I've been thinking about ordering some small cell foundation and replacing all the foundation in the frames with a strip of this. I have heard from a few bee keepers that this would not be wise in my first year of bee keeping. In fact Dadant don't recommend this when you buy it.

I guess my question is do not do this, or should i 1.Add a small strip of NC or  2. Replace the whole sheet of foundation in the frame with NC Foundation ???

From what I've read moving to NC Foundation seems the way to go, I've looked at the Man Lake frames but I'm hesitant to use plastic and would prefer to use sustainable wood in my hives. I am hoping to have 2 hives in the spring.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 06:08:26 pm »
>I have heard from a few bee keepers that this would not be wise in my first year of bee keeping. In fact Dadant don't recommend this when you buy it.

Dadant is just being cautious.  They don't want you to just put in small cell foundation and assume you'll have no problems with mites without understanding that it may take another step to get them down to 4.9mm.  Use the SC or starter strips right off and you'll be one full step ahead on getting to small cell.  So what is NC?
-------------------

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 06:45:43 pm »
NC = Natural Cell ... i think.....

anything