Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inside dimensions of a super.  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Bud

• New Bee
Inside dimensions of a super.
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:16:11 pm »
So I built the frames I ordered from Dadant and they seem to be very loose in the supers I built. Anyone know the correct inside dimensions for a super? Length and width?

Thanks

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
Re: Inside dimensions of a super.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 08:29:10 pm »
18-3/8 x 14-3/4

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »
10 x 1 3/8 width frames = 110/8 = 13 3/4

Slop = 14 ¾ - 13 ¾  = 1”

Yep, the system is designed to have a good deal of slop.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:34 pm »
The width is 18 3/8 with additional 3/8 inch rabbets on each side for the top bar.  So the 19 inch top bar should be sitting on rabbets a total of 19 1/8 inches apart.  So you should have an eight inch of wiggle room.  If the bar is set in the middle, there should be 1/16 inch space on each side.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »
There should be 1/8" slop in the fit of the frames in the box.  The top bar is 19" long and the space between the frame rests that it fits in is 19 1/8", leaving 1/16" gap at each end of the top bar...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:13 pm »
Ask 10 Beeks get 12 answers
Works every time  :-D

Tommyt

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 08:05:53 am »
All answers were consistent and correct.

I was not disagreeing, just elaborating.  The measurement from the inside of the wood (not counting the rests) is, as stated, 18 3/8".  End to end the "slop" is 1/8" (as Idee said) or 1/16" on each end (as I said) which is the same thing.  Side to side the space is 14 3/4" as everyone said and that would make the "slop" side to side, 1" as Blue Bee said.  The top bar, as I stated, is 19" which protrudes onto the rests which are inset past that 18 3/8" inside measurement, to 19 1/8" end to end.  These are all consistent answers.

End to end the measurements are these, assuming 3/4" boards.  Outside 19 7/8".  Inside 18 3/8".  Inside from rest to rest 19 1/8".  Top bar of frame 19".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:31 pm »
What about the inside width of an eight frame box. I just put some together and it seems their is more space outside of the frames with eight frames  then it is in a ten frame box with ten frames.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:11:15 am »
>What about the inside width of an eight frame box.

There is a lot more "slop" in an eight frame side to side.  They vary in size from 12 1/2" to 12" inside depending.  The most common sizes are 14" outside and 13 3/4" outside.  That leaves between 1 1/2" and 1" of extra space.
-------------------

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:06:15 pm »
I find that extra space between frames in 8 frame equipment very handy for sliding frames during inspections. I do make a practice of sliding the frames together after inspecting so that bee space between frames is correct.  Otherwise the bees build up some impressive comb to full the gap. 

Offline Sundog

• House Bee