Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: anise hyssop  (Read 1509 times)

Offline rottybee

• New Bee
anise hyssop
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I just couldn't decide where else to put it.  Anise hyssop is supposed to have a licorice flavor and I was wondering if the flavor would be in honey if bees foraged on it?  I don't think licorice flavor honey sounds very good. 

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
Re: anise hyssop
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:57:03 pm »
I'm not sure about the flavor of the nectar, but if you only have a handfull of any given plant there just isn't enough nectar to affect the honey.  If you have an entire field of the stuff, then maybe the honey will take on the flavor.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:18:27 pm »
Rotty,
there has been quite a bit of talk on this plant. maybe when Cindi stops iin she can elaborate a little more. Here is a good thread:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,14750.0.html

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:19 pm »
I have quite a bit of various hyssops all over myyard and the bees love it, its constantly covered in bees all summer.
I have never noticed any taste of it in any of the honey.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.
As someone mentioned I think you would have to have fields of that and nothing else for them to forage on to make a difference, everything is pretty well blended when you only have a few of this and that.
They are a beautiful plant, they are hearty and last well into fall.
They get pretty big and grow quickly so keep that in mind for location when you plant.