Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some photos from my meeting with the 4H club 2 weeks ago  (Read 4886 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Some photos from my meeting with the 4H club 2 weeks ago
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:43:41 am »
Here are a few photos that were taken during show and tell of one of my hives during a meeting with the 4H Club.  Look at the faces on these kids - aren't they precious??

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Some photos from my meeting with the 4H club 2 weeks ago
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:55:22 am »
That is precious and so great to see kids having that learning experience.  Share some of the questions they asked? 

Good on ya for taking the time & effort Anette!!   :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:12:50 am »
For the most part the kids are pretty quiet. They did ask a few questions like how long does the queen live, will we get to see her today. I find they are very observant like they can find a dead bee being dragged around the hive, they found varroa mites on the bees and they find the drones very easily.  They were very happy when I pulled out the frame of honey. They are basically very calm and peaceful around the bees. Many of these kids are starting hives this year. The parents are starting hives with them.

Some of the parents have taken beekeeping classes, some of the parents are going to wing it and learn as they go.

A TBH is being built for the 4H club and should be ready pretty soon. We will all learn together on how to manage this hive, as I do not have any experience with TBH's, but I have been reading and reading up on them.

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »
He Annette, how long have you been working with this group? Unfortunately, here in our area the 4H discontinued beekeeping a number of years ago because someone complained about getting the kids stung. Even though one of the area clubs meets at the Extension Center each month. Who knows maybe in the future they will be able to persuade them to reinstate that part of the program. What a great group you have there!!!!

Dennis

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:38 pm »
The beekeeping class started end of last year, but I wasn't a part of it because another beekeeper had promised to teach them. But he dropped out and then they found me on the internet. This season is the beginning for me. I worked with the project manager this winter helping her to order all supplies needed and basically going over what we will cover this coming year. Due to holidays, so many illnesses (me :-P)etc.  We really just began a couple of months ago. I met with the kids only twice so far, but have met with the project manager many times.

It is really mostly hands on in this class. Whenever the hives need to be worked, we will call all the kids to come over.

I am truly loving it and hope I can be of help to the kids.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 10:02:34 pm »
Looks like you have already been a great help to the kids by some of their expressions. Good work annette, the world needs more people like you to inspire the youth and get them to appreciate the outdoors.  ;)

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:10:22 am »
Hi Annette, so instead of a Den Mother, you're a Hive queen with little workers to take care of shop under your guidance.  How wonderful :D I bet you are just in seventh heaven!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 07:19:39 am »
Look like you and the kids are haveing good time hope you and the kids and  parents can keep at up.   X:X  X:X

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 08:35:13 am »
Annette, so wonderful to see this. I bet you could just sit there all day answering their questions, they are the future of beekeeping and you are playing a part in preserving what we all are passionate about on this forum.

Kudos to you Annette!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:30:46 am »
Annette,

What darling pictures - I love how mesmerized they look.  You gave them a real gift.  Good for you!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »
You did good Annette!!!
 The pictures were a great idea!. I think the second to last picture looks like an award winner! I bet The Amerian Bee Journal would publish this picture with a small story of what you're doing with the 4 H'ers!...Shoot, they might even use it for a magazine cover!
Way to go!!

your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:44:17 am »
Thanks dear people

There have been so many photos taken of our activities, but Shawna the project manager will not send them to me yet.  She is making a book out of them and wants to surprise me.

I will try and get some more photos from her to share here.

Annette

anything