Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New bees.  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
New bees.
« on: June 04, 2005, 04:02:18 pm »
So my son calls me up. Seems this brand new house that is being built has a swarm on the side of it. I loaned the beevac to Barny yesterday. Don't really have all the equipment I needed. But I scraped a few things together. My son came and picked me up and took me to steal the Darango from my wife's work place because it had all the other bee stuff in it. We get out to the location. The bee are up at the top of the north outside wall. The house is pretty much all framed and has OBS board all over the outside. That's how new it is.

My audiance was amazed at how I bent down and just snatched a bee off the ground. I explained that it was a drone and wouldn't sting.

I borrow a step ladder and set a hive on top of it right under the bees. And what the heck. It's a swarm, right? So I go up top, no roof, and amazed everyone as I stuck my hand into the bunch of bees and brushed them down into the hive. Well about four or five bees didn't want to let go. I probably would have been fine but I decided to try and shake them off. A couple of them didn't like that, one got me on the little finger and another just above the wrist. So I pulled the stingers out and went for the gloves. veil, and bee brush. I brushed them down into the box. Let them settle a bit and brushed some more that wasn't quite in the box. I let them settle somemore and took the hive off the ladder and sat it on the ground. There were stragglers still going back to the wall. Every now and then I would see a bee doing a waggle dance and then there would be fewer bees on the wall. Then later a few more would be back up there. I wondered if they weren't the scouts returning. There would be more bee dancing and fewer bees.

I think some have already started foraging. I would see a bunch doing the orientation flight up and down the front of the hive. I saw a couple searching around a muddy place for water I guess. Perhaps this evening they will all have found the new home and settled in.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Barny

• House Bee
New bees.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 05:11:23 pm »
Sorry for the bad timing (on borrowing your vac), but being that they were a swarm, I'm not sure how well it would have gone for them.  I think swarms are much easier how you did it, or even just by shaking them.  Good luck on that new hive!  Come robbing time, if you don't have you extraction equipment, I'll make sure you can still get the job done.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
New bees.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 05:14:19 pm »
I didn't have a camera available. There was no way to shake as they were on a wall. I believe the options were to brush or vac..

No problem. Glad you got some use out of the vac.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
New bees.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 06:12:53 pm »
I was a little worried about that.

My son called and said a cloud of bees took off to the north. So I went back over there and sure enough, they decided my home wasn't good enough. I didn't have anything to keep the queen in the hive so I took my chances.

Brought back an empty box.

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
New bees.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 06:45:01 pm »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  that was so cool I loved it in that wall least had to bee 3 ft long along the stud board and a foot wide and the bees were thick I just swooped them up by the handfulls they were in between the bedroom and the bathroom comming in from the bottom of the house into the wall and going through the hole where the watervalve is for the toilet I told the guy glad you wasnt on the shitter and found out you had bees. but dang the bathroom was just full of them as well thick.
That was my first time and I LOVED IT woo woo I was going to bee easy not to mess his wall up too bad but he said tear it down he would fix it so as soon as I hit the wall with the hammer for a hole they came out and the guy went out the door ran through the house to outside all I saw was butthole & elbow LOLL so I proceeded to tear the wall down and scoop up the bees by handfulls (I dont have a vac yet) but I got all the comb and filled a plastic storage bin full of them and the whole time ol boy there was on the other side of the house looking in the window asking if I was alright LOL he was a great guy and real cool it took me from 1:30 to 3:20 to get it done ....but I had fun doing it
What I thought was funny was that Tex went right to where they were getting in the house the guy was worried Texas would get hurt but he is a trooper and stayed right there close to me

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
New bees.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 06:59:14 pm »
So did you get any brood tied into frames?

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
New bees.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 07:07:20 pm »
yep it was all white though and even had larve in it as well so as soon as I got home I placed them in my empty hive I had available and remebered how brian done his and did them the same...but I kept a small piece for myself that had no larve in it and strained it..it be fitten to eat but me so happy

anything