Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pot Plant Hive Removal  (Read 4706 times)

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
Pot Plant Hive Removal
« on: March 12, 2013, 02:37:41 am »
I had this pretty cool bee hive removal last night. It had been in this blokes garden for over 2 years. It never bothered him but as he is getting divorced he wants to do some landscaping and spruce up the house. (He had spoken with some pest removals and they said they would destroy them but he wanted them to be saved and relocated to a safer area). Its quite a small pot and they swarmed last season.

I took the pot and placed it in a hive box and moved it to the back of my work, they were bearding quite a lot its 36.celcius at the moment. When it cools down i will break the combs and put them in some frames. I will keep this thread updated.

Ben

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
Re: Pot Plant Hive Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:35 am »
When I read the title I thought you found a hive connected with a marijuana grow.  :-D.

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:50 pm »
Good luck with the transfer Ben

I had a little look at your website. Nice and clean, uncluttered, good pics.

I collect some of the more difficult swarms/hives in Canberra. Regularly transferring bees from possum and bird boxes, I've made up little screened entrance covers that seal the bees in whilst bringing the boxes down- makes the whole job of bringing down on a ladder a 25kg buzzing box a lot easier. Got a fair bit of practice following up on a study of Indian mynas in the nature reserves here. 225 bird boxes were put up to see how many would be used by native birds and how many taken by Mynas. They were left up at the end of the study and I was asked to bring down what ended up being 38 boxes that had either once been used by or currently inhabited by bees. These came down late April last year and as it was too late in the year to transfer them into hives they overwintered on the ground at a nearby property. Unfortunately the Canberra cold and overly curious cows (knocking the boxes over) left few survivors. If it's of any interest of the 38 boxes only around 11 still had bees in them when taken down- not a high success rate for the bees. 

If you want a pic or design advice for the entrance screens and/or a bee vacuum for under $100 let me know.

I've done a couple of cut-outs, recovering over 10 kilos of one of my favorite tasting honeys from behind one bathroom wall.

Helped a mate recover a hive from a disintegrating wine barrel with combs full width top to tail.

Cut open a couple of logs to recover hives- all good adventures!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:15:23 pm »
When I read the title I thought you found a hive connected with a marijuana grow.  grin

This is the australasian section, Sunnyboy.  We call plants in pots pot plants.  They'd think we were potty if we said potted plants.  By the way, sunnyboy has a special significance for us too.. does anyone remember the triangle frozen ice?  http://www.sunnyboy.com.au/ 

How many combs will you get from that, Ben?  You might have a single frame hive haha

Nico got a hive from a telstra spool the other day.  PS  What are you doing up at this hour of the night, Dermot? 

Lone

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:27:21 pm »
body clocks shot.

Chronic fatigue like stuff, knocked me out of self employed landscaping, but gave me the opportunity to take up beekeeping a coupla years ago.

Btw, you asked a while back where I found some info. If you've got the time you could check out the forum at the Act Beekeepers Association, I've posted a whole hive load of page links a coupla days ago -articles of interest, suppliers and so on. I would have posted them here but for having to go through the administrator. Some really good scientific discoveries about how brilliant these little critters are amongst them

Offline Sunnyboy2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:59:51 pm »
Lone,

I would love to be with you in Australia, and admit i did not look at the section before typing my observation.  Glad to know "Sunnyboy" is associated with a "refreshing treat".  It was my fathers nickname when he was a child.  I had been thinking about him the day I made my account.   
May your bees be happy, and you gardens filled with flowers.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:48:59 pm »
i was after the pot plant thing too.  wondered if you got paid with a bong hit?  :-D  oh well....back to my boring life.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »
Lone, you musician types always confuse everyone with your "code" language :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:25 pm »
When I read the title I thought you found a hive connected with a marijuana grow.  :-D.
lol got my attention!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:16:00 am »
body clocks shot.

Chronic fatigue like stuff, knocked me out of self employed landscaping, but gave me the opportunity to take up beekeeping a coupla years ago.

Btw, you asked a while back where I found some info. If you've got the time you could check out the forum at the Act Beekeepers Association, I've posted a whole hive load of page links a coupla days ago -articles of interest, suppliers and so on. I would have posted them here but for having to go through the administrator. Some really good scientific discoveries about how brilliant these little critters are amongst them

Thanks Dermot.  I still haven't gotten over a bad case of the nightshift blues from about 3 weeks ago.  I turn into a zombie and after a couple of nights as my landlords know I turn into a killer zombie.  Mind you, you wouldn't blame me after the day trucks, 4 wheelers and utes kept whizzing past, then - I counted every minute - they idled the tractor 10m away from where I was trying to sleep for 37 minutes!  To top it off, they then came and talked about grinders very very loudly for half an hour about a foot away.  Nico, I think you remember dodging one boot, but I think you still have some leather to extract from your back  :)
I looked up your website - videos weren't working for me at the time but I think it's fixed so I'll have to give it another shot.  It's amazing bees can survive those Canberra nights.  You should be able to post pictures and things by now.

Lone, you musician types always confuse everyone with your "code" language grin

Scott

You are very sharp to note that, Scott. 

How's your wee hive, Ben?  Are you watering them every day?   :-D

Lone

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:31:00 pm »
   Hey Scott, dont you reckon we should get JP, Schawee and Lone together at Bud 6 while we just sit back and enjoy the greatest verbal stouch of all time.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

anything