Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Migratory Beekeeper Overstaying  (Read 1835 times)

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Migratory Beekeeper Overstaying
« on: May 15, 2006, 01:20:59 pm »
I keep my bees on my personal property which is located in the middle of many farm fields. As the fields are cultivated, migratory hives come and go. I don't mind the influx of pests that come along with these hives so much as when the hives remain on the fields long after the fields have been tilled.

This guy has left his 20-30 hives in the middle of 200+ acres of dirt. It's been over a month since the squash was tilled under. This irritates me because we have a nice batch of alfalfa that's been blooming, and I'm wondering if he left his hives out there for the alfalfa. My question is, does he have the right to leave them out there?

I have 15 hives, he's got something around 25. There's a couple tree farms in the area and lots of empty farm fields. We're located South of Miami, FL. Normally I collect honey every month to two months. Yesterday I went out and collected 1/2 the usual amount after waiting 2 and a half months. Yes, the alfalfa is petering out, but that means next month there should be less, not this month.

I already contacted the inspector, but he's a busy guy. Anyone have any idea as to what is the proper protocol for the migratory beekeeper?

Thanks.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 05:42:55 am »
Whose property is it?  Bees not owned by the property owner must have permission of said property owner to be there.  Verbal agreements exist and are legal but most have a polination contract.  I the bees are there with the property owners permission you're pretty much out of luck.

If this is your property and the bees are there without permission I would suggest that an effort be made to contact the owner of the bees and demand they be removed.  If unable to post a sign at the location of the hives demanding that they be removed by a specific date or you will remove them as tresspassing--you could also leave your contact information.  You might also want to lodge a complaint with the local police or sheriff's office on the matter to make sure the law is on your side.  

Also contact you're local extension agent--all bees within a specific locale should be registered with the extension service having jurisdiction, i.e. the county.  

Again, assuming the bees are on your property with out permission: If the bees are still there after the specified period and no effort was made to contact you, you now have abandoned bees--move them yourself to a location of your choice.  Again leave a sign posted as to the action taken and why and contact.  You just might end up with a lot more hives.

Take pictures of the bees the bees and the signs and document your actions as to who you contacted and when.  This is called CYA.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline photokid

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:10:39 am »
Thanks. I'm also new to the area, 2 years with bananas and one year beekeeping. Hopefully with time I'll get to know more of my neighbors. That way I can ask them nicely why they're still there.

anything