Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: jacket: dadant vs mann lake...others?  (Read 9646 times)

Offline windfall

• House Bee
jacket: dadant vs mann lake...others?
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:30 am »
I am looking to buy a jacket with hood. older threads on this have folks putting in good words for both dadant and mann lake. at 50$, they are identically priced...can anyone expand on any differences in the two or are they pretty comparable? I am open to other suggestions in the same price range.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: jacket: dadant vs mann lake...others?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:01 am »
The best thing out there is the Ultra Breeze jacket or the Golden Bee Products Jacket.  Much more expensive and well worth it.  They are basically sting proof and ventilated.  You can wear it with no shirt under it and feel every breeze cooling you off...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »
I agree with MB.  I know you said in the same price range, but my suggestion would be to save your money and get the ventilated style. I just got a Golden Bee and after using the Dadant last year........the Golden Bee is absolutely worth every penny.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:35:06 am »
The first six years I had bees I wore old white shirts from the resale store. Got an Ultra Breeze a bit over a year ago. Glad I waited!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:55 am »
I am looking to buy a jacket with hood. older threads on this have folks putting in good words for both dadant and mann lake. at 50$, they are identically priced...can anyone expand on any differences in the two or are they pretty comparable? I am open to other suggestions in the same price range.

I use the dadant jacket. Since I wear a bee suit perhaps 12 hours a day for months at a time, I buy the zipper style jacket and go with what can be easily replaced. The Dadant jacket also does not come with a patch, which is on the Mannlake jacket. I'm not a walking billboard for anyone.

In fact, about 10 years ago, I bought something like 15,000 dollars from Manlake, and at the end of the season, they sent me a ball cap. A ball cap with their advertising on it. I called and asked them how much were they willing to pay me to walk around and advertise their company. Zero was the answer. And since they only knew I was a beekeeper, how did they know that I wore ballcaps? I could see giving a hive tool or other "gift" as appreciation, but the fact was they gave me a ball cap that was valueless to me. They gave me something not related to bees, and expected to advertise for them.  :roll:

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 10:02:39 am »
Thanks folks,
I have seen everyone raving about the ultra breeze jacket...I bounced over to thier site but couldn't find pricing...???
I am just statring out, and really just don't seen ever having more than a half dozen hives so I don't anticipate spending all that much time in the thing and here in the mountains of Vt our summers are generally pretty mild in terms of temps.
I do usually like to save up and buy quality in my tools and equipment, but statr-up costs on this are really adding up and this is one place I can save cut costs a bit.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:46:09 am »
Windfall
I was just about to reply that just starting out your money might be better spent on equipment plus Vt doesn't have the steady temps of Tx.   I use dadant but have been looking at the mann lake pollenator jacket.  I think either will work just fine for you.   I  would also suggest that you buy a helmet and hood because you will soon find out that most of the season you will be able to wear shorts and a teeshirt but ALWAYS cover you face. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 11:55:39 am »
I use the econo jacket from Dadant (panama hat style). The open mesh in the back at least lets the breeze get to the back of my neck.

Any will work fine though.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:47:58 pm »
Danno I should have been clearer, I was looking for a hooded jacket. Where in ludington area are you? I have family in Freesoil, and spent a lot of time in the area growing up.

Hardwood, your the first I've seen putting in a vote for the full hat, most everybody (reading old threads) seems to like the hood. but I see you are also in a pretty high sun /heat area yourself.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 01:02:16 pm »
Danno I should have been clearer, I was looking for a hooded jacket. Where in ludington area are you? I have family in Freesoil, and spent a lot of time in the area growing up.

Hardwood, your the first I've seen putting in a vote for the full hat, most everybody (reading old threads) seems to like the hood. but I see you are also in a pretty high sun /heat area yourself.
I am actually in Scottville so just a few miles from freesoil.   My boss is a Hasenbank from Freesoil so you guys might be related.   Everyone is relate up there LOL    I did understand the jacket thing.   The pollenator from Mannlake come in either a full suit or jacket.   The reason I thought about switching from Dadant to Mannlake is in the pics it looks like the hood hold better shape and stays farther from the face and it also looks like it fold flatter when flipped back.  My Dadant is a pain driveing from site to site.

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »
An additional question regarding sizing...I see it commonly suggested that you buy a size or two larger than what you normally wear to insure a cer5tain "baggiiness"...would this still hold true for a tall skinny type (6', 155lbs)?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 01:39:23 pm »
i use the Mann Lake jacket.  my only consideration was the shipping price.  Mann Lake is closer and cheaper.  i really like the jacket and it has held up well to cutouts, swarm catching, being left in a damp barn, washing, etc.   :-D  if i kill it i won't feel bad about buying the same again.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »
An additional question regarding sizing...I see it commonly suggested that you buy a size or two larger than what you normally wear to insure a cer5tain "baggiiness"...would this still hold true for a tall skinny type (6', 155lbs)?
I would suggest to take your measurments, height, chest and inseam and then call them.  Dadant has sized me up in the past.  Mannlake should do the same.  Jackets wont matter as much as full suits but they do need to be baggy.   

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 10:28:39 am »
My second choice (not in the ballpark of the Ultra Breeze or Golden Bee Products) is a cotton jacket from www.beeworks.com with the English hood, not one that requires a helmet.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 11:10:15 pm »
I own the cotton BeeWorks jacket that Michael mentioned and I love it - the hood is easy and zips off easily - double zipper.  I gave my son-in-law the Mann Lake Pollinator jacket for Christmas and he's very comfortable in it and I like its hood.

Linda T in Atlanta