Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Small Hive Beetle
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:05:45 am »
1.  Does placing your hives in full sun really help keep shb's numbers down?

2.  For those of you who live here in Northern parts of Georgia, how much of a problem are they here?

Thanks

David
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:52:33 am by Georgia Boy »
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline keito

• New Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 05:50:24 am »
I have had my dealings with the SHB and yes I find that full sun is better than shade. I put one of my hive s in my backyard wear there is a lot of shade and within a couple of weeks they had over run the hive. No more shade spots for me. The bees can turn on their ac for the hot days of summer here in Mississippi. Those beetles sure do make a mess. I use the oil with disposable plastic traps. They catch quite a few beetles. Once they get going they are hard to stop.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
The only hive that I have lost to SHB was in full sun.  They were a weak hive (swarm) a fellow in local club gave me when I was starting.  You can hear both ways.  You have to keep an eye on your hives.  I put trays under SBB's and traps in hives, if I see any during inspections, smash them and adjust traps accordingly.  I have my hives now under a roof.  I pretty sure yaull have SHB also.  Good luck

Joe

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:48:20 pm »
Full sun helps some. A weak hive will fall prey no matter where they are located.

Good Luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:29:22 pm »
I still keep  most of my hives is the shade where they have been for years and years.   I catch swarms and sometimes make nucs on my back porch which is in full sun.  I know when I pop tops, whether sun or shade, there are them beetles running over.   I do not believe they are as bad now as they were in the past.  I think either bees are dealing with them better, or other pests are now affecting the beetles.  Maybe I am just keeping stronger hives with less open space in the hives as before. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:06 pm »
I still keep  most of my hives is the shade where they have been for years and years.********** Maybe I am just keeping stronger hives with less open space in the hives as before. 

Full sun helps some. A weak hive will fall prey no matter where they are located.
Good Luck, Steve

I agree with AllenF and Steve colony strength is all that keeps these little buggers at bay. I almost lost a weak colony to them before I knew what was happening. They were in full sun. I installed a full bottom oil trap under #6 mesh and they died by the hundreds. Where I live is prime SHB breeding ground.

I understand that in locations where the ground is rocky, such as in the mountians, they are not as able to replicate therefore they are not as much of a problem. I can't say this from experience but maybe some others can chime in.
Later,
Ray