Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broken frame, What to do  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Stung

• New Bee
Broken frame, What to do
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:19:40 am »
I have a broken frame that came with the Nuc. It on the bottom super. it is at a weight that I try not to disturb it. Should I leave it, or is there a way to replace it.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Broken frame, What to do
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:56:09 am »
Unfortunately the season is winding down for many and removing it will leave a hole in the bees winter food stores.  I would move it to the outside where the bees will not have brood in it next spring when replacing it won't cause any problems.  Also if it is old and broken, you are better off if the bees don't raise brood in it. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:35 am »
Where are you.  What type frame and what type foundation are you running.  What part of the frame is broken.  Being new you probably don't have spare parts, but most of the frame parts aren't hard to make.  Does it have brood in the frame or honey.  You may leave it alone, replace the part of the frame that is broken, cut out the comb and put it in another frame or try to repair the frame without removing the broke piece with a splint for now.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:34 am »
http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=776

If the ear on the top bar is broken this is a piece of galvanized metal to replace it.  You can also put a nail into the top bar that sticks straight out vertically to rest on the frame rest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:40 am »
 I had a broken frame in my nuc that I installed back in may. Since it was full of capped brood, I placed it towards the outside of the 5 frames that came with the nuc. After the brood emerged, I pulled it out and replaced it with an empty frame. I then cut the comb out of the frame and then cut it in half lengthwise. I used rubber bands to secure the pieces into a couple medium frames and they went into the new boxes on top of the brood.