Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wholesale Beekeeping Supplies  (Read 31302 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Wholesale Beekeeping Supplies
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:14:22 pm »
I would like to start an apiary supply store and wonder if anyone has any idea where these local beekeeping supply stores get their goods? I'm sure there is a wholesaler but can't seem to find one.

Regards - Jay

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Wholesale Beekeeping Supplies
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:16:18 pm »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:03 pm »
Lots of them make their own.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:02:24 pm »
alot of the wooden ware comes from western bee. Dadant makes smokers and some other things. I would contact them to see if they would help you get started. Maybe you could become a local outlet for them.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:12:37 pm »
I would not be surprised if they could be purchased far "cheaper" from CHINA. You can buy RTA (ready to assemble) solid wood and beautifully finished kitchen cabinets from China. How can they do that? Shipping should far outweigh the labor savings. But......what do I know?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:12 pm »
On google I just get a lot of yellow page ads. I sent a message to dadant and will send one to Western Bee as well. Thanks for the info.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 12:19:57 am »
Brushy Mountain has dealers that they sell to at wholesale prices.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 05:37:30 am »
Humble Abodes Inc., RR#1 - Box 570, Coopers Mills Rd.
Windsor, ME 04363, Phone (877) 423-3269, Fax (207) 549-5512. ...

Not website but

EXCELLENT QUALITY on Frames and boxes.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:28:04 am »

Mann Lake may help you ?

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:59:15 pm »
Check on E-Bay, I saw some buy out.

search under 'beekeeping'

cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:36:44 am »
For honey processing equipment I would go to Maxant PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA

http://www.maxantindustries.com/

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:36:50 am »
For woodwork, local sources are probably best.  I bought 5 mediums, a bottom board, a top cover, and 60 frames recently and the shipping from Montana to Washington was over $60, which was WAY over the top, in my book.  I shipped more weight from here to Texas last fall for that. A three pound shipment of unrelated items totaling 3# was $10.38 from Oregon to Washington.  That's insane.

I've seriously considered making hive bodies/tops/bottoms as a side business - I have a portable bandsaw mill, a woodshop, and an almost endless supply of douglas fir (I live on 30 acres of the stuff, plus alder, maple, cedar, etc.  I wonder if you can make hives out of cottonwood?  AKA Black Poplar?).  I'm certainly not buying any more hive bodies for my own use!  If I can figure out the jigs to make frames in large quantities, I'll probably do that as well.
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 08:22:04 am »
Humble Abodes Inc., RR#1 - Box 570, Coopers Mills Rd.
Windsor, ME 04363, Phone (877) 423-3269, Fax (207) 549-5512. ...

Not website but

EXCELLENT QUALITY on Frames and boxes.

update ............
Humble Abodes Inc got in new website

http://www.humbleabodesinc.com/home.htm

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline HomeBru

• House Bee
    • Drew Family Farms
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:23 pm »
I would not be surprised if they could be purchased far "cheaper" from CHINA. You can buy RTA (ready to assemble) solid wood and beautifully finished kitchen cabinets from China. How can they do that? Shipping should far outweigh the labor savings. But......what do I know?

Steve

My father worked for bot Weyerhauser and Georgia Pacific at different times and was amazed that it was actually economical for them to: Start pine seedlings in Georgia, package them up and ship them to Peru to grow out. Ship the harvested logs back to South Carolina to be milled or peeled for veneer, sent to China to be made into furniture and shipped back to the US. I came out cheaper than growing, harvesting, milling, and building all locally!

J-

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
There had to be some Govt. subsidies or tax breaks some where along the way. 

Steve

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 02:46:03 pm »
as alredy mentioned most of the smaller bee supply co's seem to sell either brushy mountain or mann lake.

As a purchaser I can generally get it cheaper from mann lake directly even with shipping, although they seem to stay in business somehow, so convenience wise it must make sense to be able to pick all the supplies up while you are picking up your package bees, etc.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 01:27:54 am »
Buying bee supplies are a matter of timing.  Get on the mail and email lists for all the suppliers.  Compare and note when they offer their best buys on given items.  Buying an extractor in late August is buying it at the heighth of the season and when it is going to cost the most. 
I try to buy all my equipment (that I don't build) in the off seasons and when they are clearing house.  Sales like 5 supers and 50 frames for $XX dollars can make it worth while if you double or triple the special.

Bear in mind to that shipping is also a seasonal thing (with the exception of the USPS) as shipping through UPS or FedEx can fluxuate within a 30-40 Dollar range depending on the time of shipment.  Jan-March is best as Christmas is over and Spring and Summer sales haven't started yet.  Oh, and don't forget the weight thing.  some items, due to size, have to be shipped at a high rate due to hieght, length, or weight.  When that happens occurs often a lot of other items can be added to the order without a marked increase in shipping.  Large items like extractors can have an oversize surcharge added also.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:57 pm »
Is there anyone here that distributes wholesale package bees in the spring? I'm thinking about getting into it next year and was wondering if someone could recommend southern apiaries that are reasonable. My wife thinks I should be growing my apiary as a business more...  :roll:

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »
There had to be some Govt. subsidies or tax breaks some where along the way. 

Steve

Not necessarily.  The cost of land is no doubt a big issue with timber production.   
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 05:16:30 am »
I build all my wood equipment out of rough yellow pine, a deep cost me $2.00, a medium 1.50, cloake board 10.00
top cover $3.00. inner cover 1.50.  I buy my frames from brushey MT at .65 apiece.  Screened bottom board 2.00 with #8 wire. Bottom board 3.50   That is about $23 for  a complete hive minus foundation.  That price is about the shipping for that much equipment from the big boys. All new equipment bought from low for 200.00.   I have built 29 deeps and 22 mediums 10 bottom boards and 10 top covers out of 86.66 worth of lumber.

I like Kelly's equipment, last year I ordered 5 deeps w frame and foundation  assembly required.  Each box was 35.00 including shipping. Compare that to the 2.00 for the box and 6.50 for the frames I payed this year.  I'm sold I can put    20.5 boxes in the field for the 175.00 I payed Kelly. My boxes are made out of yellow pine it will still be in the field when the white pine boxes are burning in a fireplace. Just my two cents
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

anything