Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Used Deeps and Used Frames  (Read 2500 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Used Deeps and Used Frames
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:48:50 pm »
I am purchasing 12 used deeps from a guy and each of them has 9 frames of drawn comb in it.  The pics show that the comb is very dark.  My question is this...

Are the old frames okay to use with the old comb, or should I replace the comb with new foundation.  Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Used Deeps and Used Frames
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:53:40 pm »
I'd be hesitant to reuse frames from someone elses stuff especially if they are old dark comb.  Better to start of with new ones, less risk of bringing in a foreign contaminant to hive.  If I was set on using them I would cut out the old comb and replace with new foundation, or better yet save myself some money and just make starter strips and let the bees do the rest.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:59:11 pm »
Did the person you bought them from treat with chemicals?   If not,  they are most likely fine to use.   If you are starting a package,  it may be wise to use a few to get the queen laying right away so that you get new bees as soon as possible.   You can then rotate these frames out once they have drawn new comb by slowly moving them to the outside until they no longer have brood in them.   

Remember if you decide not to use them and put in new foundation, you need to put 10 frames in each box at least until they draw the comb out.  If you are using them for brood chambers, I would recommend leaving them with 10 frames.  If you are using them for honey supers than you can reduce them to 9 frames.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:54:34 pm »
If you go foundationless you do not want to use 9 frames the 2 systems are uncompatable until after the combs are drawn.
I would recommend 86ing the old comb and going foundationless or with new foundation, your choice.  Since they're deeps i would also sire the frames even with foundationless.

The only reason to risk using any of the combs is for starting a package, even then only 3-4 frames are necessary and should be changed out the 2nd year.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline toolmaster

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »
Howdy,
Color doesn't really matter to much. But AFB does. Are you sure that the equipment is AFB free? Why is the other beek getting rid of the equipment? How his apiary been inspect recently? It may not bee such a good deal.

Toolmaster