Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are your winter plans for getting ready for next spring?  (Read 3238 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
What are your winter plans for getting ready for next spring?
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:43:34 am »
Mine is to build some more nuc's and a few other equipment to try to build up next year, going to get some early packages the help start drawing out comb then re queen these hives with my queens later in the year, that was my plan this pass spring but health problem set me back. I have about enough equipment for 50-60 more hives now and I have about 35 nuc's ready for next year, I would like to build up to 50 nuc's before the spring for next years increases. so building and painting for me this winter.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Re: What are your winter plans for getting ready for next spring?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:48:20 am »
-I bought some used supers that need to be cleaned and painted.
-Build some new supers I have.
-Purchase and build super frames / foundation
-Build about 10 bottom boards and migratory tops
-Build/setup about 5 swarm trap hives.
-Read more on how to manage hives for honey production. 
-Read more on managing to keep swarming to a minimum.
-Consider offering some of my hives for local pollenation

I have alot to do in 2 months.  My season starts in January.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:50:48 am »
conquer HALO 2

as for the bees, i have lots of equipment to paint in anticipation of swarm season.  i don't want to expand, but i want a better buildup next year than i got this year.  oh, and put the rest of my supers together.  i have a bunch of shallows that need nailing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:55:19 am »
* Paint my new nuc boxes (I can't think of too many guys that get excited about wooden boxes for their birthday)
* Get ready for queen rearing
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »
Lets see:

1. Prepare for the Transistion to all Medium Boxes for Brood & Supering in one season (2010).
2. Prepare for the Transistion to Foundationless Frames for the next 3 seasons.
3. Secure a 2nd Bee Yard

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:59:34 pm »
1.  Try an OA dribble on my best hive, which is also the most Varroa infested.
2.  Make some more winter covers (basically black insulated sleeves to assist
2.  Build an extractor from the parts I have assembled
3.  Make a bunch more Nucs, some Deeps and some Mediums.
4.  Assemble frames
5.  Make more screened bottom boards, inner covers, and tele covers.
-Mike

bigbearomaha

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »
Our goal is somewhat modest for the new apiary.  For the "main" yard, we need to have at least 10 KTBH's built and at least 1 Warre hive built and ready by Spring.

We have two bee handlers ready and waiting for a bit of training on procedures, policies, etc.. which will also happen over the winter.  Hopefully we can line up a couple more.  basically then just waiting for Spring to kick in and get right to work with swarm captures, cut outs, transfer to new hives, build swarm catch hives/boxes and inspect/observe/document.

Boatloads of reading, reading, then a little bit more reading.

Big Bear

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:55:38 am »
What are my winter plans for spring readiness? ... Lot's of rest and plenty of naps by the fire!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 02:57:23 pm »
My goal is to work as much overtime as possible to save up for new hive equipment and packaged bees to replace all the hives I've lost the last 3 years.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:16:06 pm »
I bought a large lot of equipment from an estate. It is stored in a barn about 40 miles away. I plan to get it moved, sort through it, repair if required, and paint. I also have a new 12 hive trailer. It will need paint as well.

This year I plan to concentrate on growing my hive numbers rather than honey production.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 01:03:40 am »
1. Build that TBH I've been longing for :-D
2. Pick everyone's brains on Beemaster   :oops:
3. Read up on strategies for queen rearing and making splits (suggestions welcome)
4. Build some 8-frame equipment
5. Renovate a 1950s extractor (think it's an A.I. root)
6. Generally prepare to double from 6 to 12 hives for as little cost as possible (has to be legal)

I'd welcome any advice.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:35:04 pm »
Build hives all winter to put our splits in we are going to do all next summer to build up our hive number.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Grid

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:48:35 pm »
Hope and pray that my bees make it to the spring.  :)  My first winter with live colonies.

I'm planning on switching over to natural cell size and 8-frame mediums, and (hopefully) reduce or eliminate medicating.  I will keep two hives traditionally for now, and then set up two more as above.  I want to switch over, but I don't want that decision to wipe me out, if my bees genetics/behavior is not up to the task.

Grid.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 10:14:50 pm »
Build and paint up more medium size equipment to try and eliminate the deeps all together.
Build and paint some medium size Nucs.
Build more portable metal hive stands to put on a property that I removed a swarm from and was offered it as a place to keep bees.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 04:08:30 am »
My plan is to build as much equipment as time and money permits.  I also plan to keep all my fingers, eyes and other body parts if possible.  Read as much info on honeybees as I can.  Experiment with Solar thermal heating and ventilation on and empty hive.  Patent my easy inspection hive and retire.  Ok, last part is a joke.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wcadams

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:09 pm »
I live in northwest Iowa so I am not going to get too carried away until I know they are alive in late winter.  If so build and paint more supers, try to relocate a few hives, hope to setup for vertical foundationless hives.  Good Luck to all!!!

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 10:55:58 pm »
After reading some of yalls plans mine seem a bit meak and insignifigant.  However I plan tomorrow to place an order with Dadent.  I want to go from one hive, Swarm that came to me last year and was good enough to stay all season, to three hives,   Kinda small and insignificant huh?  I want to keep the first hive with Dadent cell foundation.  One of the new hives I want to go to all natural.  The other I will try small cell or the 4.9 stuff.  I am ordering two three pound packages of italian bees and truely hope my swarm that is now in two deeps makes it through the winter.  I also have been picking up seed a fertilizer.  I plan on planting three acreas of food for the bee's, deer and other critters.  One acrea of yellow clover, one white clover and one buckwheat.  I also have two small fields of alf alfa that I let go to flower before I cut. 

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:24 am »
Build some more hives (top to bottom). A few swarm traps. A bee vac! Maybe an extractor (have clean barrel and treadmill motor).

Read and learn!
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY