Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible Cordovan Queen  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
Possible Cordovan Queen
« on: May 21, 2006, 03:42:37 pm »
Hi guys, I ordered 2 Carni nucs from a local, respected beekeeper up here and picked them up and installed them a few weeks ago. When we got them, though, there was a bit of a rush and we didn't get much of a chance to go through the frames before we transferred them (although he guaranteed everything was good and disease free - the inspector had just visited). In any event, he made a comment that one of the queens looked like a Cordovan queen rather than the Carni that we paid for. Although I was a little irritated that he didn't know, I was in a good mood and figured "what the hell, lets see how it goes anyway."

The bees are doing great, so I'm happy. But does anyone on here keep Cordovans? I know next to nothing about them (except that they are frequently used for genetics studies), and am willing to give the "mystery queen" a try. Is there a way I can tell if she's a Cordovan (other than killing her and shipping her off to a lab)? I was under the impression that he had just requeened, so her workers may not have even hatched yet...
What do yall think about these bees?

We also just got our Russians two days ago... very excited!

thanks
wombat
 :D
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Possible Cordovan Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:50:30 pm »
In theory Cordovan is just a color.  Most of the cordovans for sale, however, seem to be a particular strain of Italian with certain characteristics.  Basiclly I'd say they are Italians only more so.  They rear brood like Italians, only more so.  They are gentle like Italains, only more so.  They can get hot like Italians only more so.  I have not found them to be that hardy here in the North, but they are the prettiest things you ever saw.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Possible Cordovan Queen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:32:13 am »
>like Italians only more so.
Does this make them Sicilian?  Does Tony Saprano know?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
Possible Cordovan Queen
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 11:31:00 am »
So, "super-Italians" huh?

The queen is a massive golden monster...very pretty, as you say. And she's been VERY busy laying! Very productive :D
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria