Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SBB for Swarm Trap?  (Read 3787 times)

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
SBB for Swarm Trap?
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:51:49 pm »
So I have built a few 4 frame boxes for growing the bee yard.

One of the intended uses is for catching swarms.  When used in that way the little nuc boxes will get a few frames of comb and a shot of lemon grass oil.  In this application would a screened bottom board be more effective than a solid bottom?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: SBB for Swarm Trap?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:58:48 pm »
With my traps, I always use solid bottoms.   I think the swarm may take to the closed up box better than with an open hive.   Maybe someone will chime n that has ran both to see which catches more.   

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:54 am »
Thanks.  By my way of thinking like a bee, a closed up space would be more attractive to a new colony looking for a place to grow. But thought I would check here for confirmation with others experience.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:31 pm »
I'm not sure where I got the plans from now, I just checked Beesource and they weren't on there, but I built some 5 frame medium swarm traps that had a SBB with a removable bottom cover. Catch you swarm, bring them home, and once the queen is laying well, remove the bottom board. I got the plans somewhere on the internet but basically a nuc with a migratory top that could be hung from a tree.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:25:16 pm »
I just use old nucs for traps.   Leave them in there until they need to move into a 10 frame hive.   I also have 2 old 10 frame boxes made from 2 inch wood (very old and every rough) that I set out for traps.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:25 pm »

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:58 pm »
So I have built a few 4 frame boxes for growing the bee yard.

One of the intended uses is for catching swarms.  When used in that way the little nuc boxes will get a few frames of comb and a shot of lemon grass oil.  In this application would a screened bottom board be more effective than a solid bottom?
 I recommend the Dcoates super simple Nuc design ,I'll be hanging them across the county  :-D
http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1733

I know he has them here and other places this is the first I found doing a Google search with his name and NUC

Tommyt

edited to say
 I found more on his Idea/Plans

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,27006.msg212166.html#msg212166

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa190/Drew454/Nuc%20plans/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:56:41 pm by Tommyt »
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
i use screened bottoms when i set traps out that are going to have to be trucked home.  it's easier to close them and not worry about ventilation on the drive back.  i also don't have to change anything when i put them in the yard.  just plop them down as they are.

other than that, i would have no preference.  the solids are cheaper to make/buy so if that's an issue, go with them.  you can always tape screen over the entrance when you move them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:02:02 pm »
I make my $2 swarm traps out of 3/8 plywood, 1/4 Luan and free coroplast signs.   They are light and cheap so I don't worry about loosing a few.   I too find that bees seem to like a closed in and dark space.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything