Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello I am new to the forum  (Read 2038 times)

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
Hello I am new to the forum
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:38:36 pm »
I have been reading and watching YouTube about Bee keeping for the last couple of months. I have decided to give it a go. I started cutting lumber yesterday to make my own hives. I plan on starting with just a couple of hives till I see how it goes then maybe expand to a few more. I doubt I will ever get to more then 8 or 10 hives as if ever that many. Too old and fat to do much more that what I do now.

I am a retired crane operator with 40 years operating cranes. I also just started raising rabbits for the meat.I do wood turning for fun and like to play with my 2 labs. I live in central Louisiana where it doesn't get too cold but it sure gets hot in the summer.

I look forward to meeting people and learning all I can about being a Bee Keeper on a small scale.

Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline mikebrg

• New Bee
Re: Hello I am new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:27 pm »
welcome to the forum !

there is plenty to learn on here and everyone has great advice if you have a question.

good luck

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:16:47 pm »
Welcome Craneman!  Lots of folks down your way to give you sound advice.  You don't have the hard winter to deal with but you sure have other problems to deal with in the way of wax moths and beetles and fire ants I suppose.  We all have the Varroa mites to deal with.  I envy you the easy availability of bees to get started.  Lots of producers down there. 

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:18 am »
Thanks for the welcomes.
Yep we do have a bunch of bee people around here. From home bee keepers to large companies that travel the country with their Bees.

I am hoping to build some swarm traps to catch my own bees this spring. I have read about swarms being some of the best bees as they usually come from strong hives. If I don't succeed in catching a couple of swarms I guess I will have to fork over some cash for some nucs. :roll:

I live in the country surrounded by crop fields and wooded areas so I should be able to catch a few bees I hope.  :-D
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 08:51:24 am »
Welcome to the forum, craneman.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:38:39 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 02:17:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 08:21:03 pm »
Welcome craneman. :)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:07:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum!
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything