Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trapouts and SHB  (Read 1991 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
trapouts and SHB
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:19:41 am »
so, I have a trapout to start, and ive been seeing less hive beetles in hives lately.  I guess they are winding down?  I have noticed in some of my recent cutouts that there is a lack of honey but a boatload of bees.  I guess they used their resources up.  I like the idea of trapping out a colony with less resources the beetles can make a mess of.  I dont want the mess, but the colony has to go and is inaccessible without major tear into weird balcony, roof, upstairs, copper gutters, chimney, 10" stained crown molding on inside, etc..  I think I can wrap it up before it gets cold down here as well.  Any expereience with shb totally wrecking a trapout???

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Re: trapouts and SHB
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 02:12:17 am »
The SHB wont destroy your trap out, if anything they will force the colony to abscond quicker and move into your trap box. They will however leave a mess in the cavity if there are resources in there.
Shane

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: trapouts and SHB
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:03:05 am »
Yep, if anything the SHB speeds up the process for you. My first of the season this year went down in less than two weeks. The trapout pulls off all the foragers within the first few days and sometimes that's all it takes for the black devils to to get going and once the slime flows the abscond is on and your trap out is finished. Great for you except for the slimey mess inside the wall. Just a sad fact of the times we live in.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

anything