Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 8 Frame Equipment blueprints  (Read 1612 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
8 Frame Equipment blueprints
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:24 pm »
I was curious if anyone out there has blueprints and measurements for 8 frame equipment that maybe they've popped into AutoCAD or any other easy to read display.

I'd like to have 8 frame mediums only, standard bottom board, migratory covers.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
Re: 8 Frame Equipment blueprints
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »
Box Width=13 3/4"; Box Length=19 7/8"; Box depth=6 5/8". Frame rest rabbet=3/8"Dx5/8"W. If using rabbeted joints make your rabbets for the side pieces 3/8"Dx3/4"W. Therefore, your actual side pieces will be 19 1/8" long.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:50:44 pm »
Stupid questions.

1) Can I really significantly save money by building my own stuff?

2) What thickness should the lumber be?

Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 03:21:14 am »
Stupid questions.

1) Can I really significantly save money by building my own stuff?

2) What thickness should the lumber be?

It depends on where you find your lumber.  If you buy your everyday lumber from any lumber yard good luck saving enough money to make it worth it.  You will want to get it on sale if you do.  The length of the lumber you need is short so find scrap pieces somewhere cheap or free.  This is hard to do with deep boxes but fairly easy for mediums and shallows.  You need 3/4 in thickness.  Thats called a 1 x whatever, like a 1 x 12 which actually is 3/4 inch by 11-1/4 or 1/2 inches wide for a deep box.  Your wood has to be strait as an arrow.  No curves or bends.  Dont cut your fingers or thumbs off.  Best option is just to buy the stuff pre cut and assemble yourself.  Its more work than you  think maiking the stuff.  You will be working for less than minimum wager most likely.  Work overtime and buy it and your come out ahead.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 06:54:05 am »
>1) Can I really significantly save money by building my own stuff?
If you have access to scrap or a lumber mill, maybe.

>2) What thickness should the lumber be?
It could be anytyhing, but 3/4" is standard (one by).  Two bys (1 1/2") are pretty heavy... and you need to allow that extra to be on the outside and not the inside...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything