Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what do with dead hive  (Read 2583 times)

Offline jgarzasr

• House Bee
what do with dead hive
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:43:56 am »
I had my two hives next to eachother - Hive #1 has survived winter and is strong.  Hive #2 died.  My question is - we are having a warm up right now and the bees are moving.... they are also robbing.  Should I remove the dead hive and prevent anymore robbing?... or should I continue to let hive #1 rob out hive #2.  I assume they are robbing out both honey and pollen.  funny- because I had removed a complete super from my dead hive and set it on top of hive #1, and the bees moved up into it - guessing they were low on stores because the hive was light when I lifted it.  Also - this weekend it will be in the mid 50's.  Should I break open the hive, add pollen patties, alternate brood boxes?  ... or should I wait a little longer until spring is here to stay?  .... also is pollen patties necessary, or will the blooms provide enouph?  Appreciate the responses?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
what do with dead hive
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:56:21 am »
They do not eat pollen from another hive.

It is not useful to let them carry vain food to their hive. It only take room from broodarea.

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
what do with dead hive
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:36:19 pm »
Yeah, don't let them get into that habit of stealing. It can be potentially bad.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
what do with dead hive
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:17:52 pm »
They can also tear up the comb pretty good when robbing.  Not a good thing if you plan to start another hive with it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
what do with dead hive
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 03:22:04 am »
Quote from: Robo
They can also tear up the comb pretty good when robbing.  Not a good thing if you plan to start another hive with it.

That is good reason. They spoil combs.

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
what do with dead hive
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 10:06:15 pm »
It is a good idea to do a postmortum on the dead hive before you allow any transfer of hive product or materials from the dead hive.  You would not want to transfer disease or pests.  Sorry for the late post on my thoughts, as the cat is out of the bag and all. :roll: