Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Re First hives and 4 weeks old...  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
Re First hives and 4 weeks old...
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:15 am »
Hello everyone,

Well four weeks ago I decided to finally get some bee hives after been registered for a year as a beekeeper.

I picked up 2 x 4 frame nucs that were placed in my hive boxes and headed home.

After the first 24 hours I was advised to open up and make sure the frames didn't move... Luck it do as in one hive the frames had moved and dropped in the box.. I tried to get them out as best I could but a few did die.

With only 6 frames in the box (4 from the nuc and 2 fresh frames of foundation) and on the second day I added all my new foundation... I was itching to have a look but I waited until the end of the week and I only popped the top to have a look. Wow I was impressed.. Most frames drawn.. I though is this normal or am I lucky.

Anyway after 3 weeks of non stop raining I wanted to have a look and everyone besides me could smell honey...

First mistake, It was over cast.. I tried to pop the top but it was stuck... I mean really stuck.. I couldn't get it off. I tried my tool... Resorted to trying to drive the tool in on many spots (third mistake) and had to almost hammer it in and finally I got it open and it fought me every millimeter to get it open...

The box was full and I mean full of honey Combe and honey... Every frame drawn and the gap In between the lid and top of frames full... Honey every where... (I can't post pictures but if some one can post them for me it would be great, please message) [Update by moderator: Added the pictures below]

Now I removed all the honey Combe and tried to clean it up... Now there is honey every where left over from the dripping bust Combe.

Questions.

Do the bees clean this up

Should I put on a deep for another brood box or queen excluder and honey super?

Is this normal or is this faster than what is expected?

Thanks in advance for any help given...

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:16:52 am by eivindm »

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
Re: Re First hives and 4 weeks old...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:54:23 am »
Those bees are going well.

No idea where you are.

Coming into autumn they may not fill out a super of honey but they are obviously looking for more room.

It's hard to tell from your photos what is going on.   It looks like you have nine frames in a 10 frame brood box.

10 frame brood boxes take 10 frames, put them in there.

Look for & join a beekeeping club in your area.  This forum is great however hands on experience will make you a good beekeeper.

Yanta

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 07:37:34 am »
Thanks... I'm in. Brisbane...

I tried to get the 10 frames in but feared I squash some as the four frame from the Nuc were full and drawn out a bit and it was a tight fit...

Will try and get the extra one in...

I will be going to the next meeting we have here in Brisabane which will be last Tuesday of the month.

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 07:44:54 am »
With respect to using a queen excluder some beeks use them and some would not go without them. I find that if there is a good flow on the bees will drive the queen back to the brood box by filling the frames with honey as the bees hatch out.

I suggest you have a read of the below post which I think would assist in answering some of your questions.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,35363.msg294240.html#msg294240

Kevin