Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems logging in on personal computer  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Problems logging in on personal computer
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:16:00 pm »
I just got my laptop back from fixing the hard drive. I am having trouble logging in it tells me there was an error and to check my cookie settings. Where is that?

Also how do I change my password if I can't remember my password.

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Problems logging in on personal computer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 04:50:58 pm »
If Im right the "cookie" has to do with internet sites and should not have anything to do with the startup of the computer. I havemine set to auto detect settings and allow cookies. I know some people dont allow cookies but it is a mess when trying to do anything over the internet. The cookie settings is in the internet options, should be a check box. Password, dont know. Sorry. I do have a program that will crack passwords!

Offline allend

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:39:50 pm »
I assume that you are having trouble logging into forums, and that your laptop is working fine, AND that you are on another computer now, since you appear to be logged in.

Without knowing what operating system or browser you are using on the laptop, it is hard to be specific, but all browsers have 'options' or 'preferences' where these things can be adjusted.  These are accessed from the menu bar.  You will have to check each dropdown to find where yours is.

Once there, you look around for 'cookies' and there will be an option to accept all cookies, etc. etc.  Accepting all cookies is OK for most people.  Some hate being tracked around and that is why you can turn it off.  Unfortunately sites like this use cookies to remember you from page to page and you'll be logged out if you don't have them at least partially enabled.

As for the password, most sites have a password recovery mechanism at or near the login, and it is usually presented when you fail to get in.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 06:14:11 pm »
Yes I am at work goofing off right now :-P
I was having trouble with my personal laptop HP with the dreaded VISTA OS I sent it off to fix the harddrive and now it will not allow me to log into the forums

Offline allend

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:42:28 pm »
Yeah, Vista!  Actually I am using it and I like it.  I like it a lot more since I've been playing with Fedora and Ubuntu.

I've turned off all the Vista stuff, though and it looks more like server 2003 the way I use it.

You should be fine when you figure out where the cookies setting is.  Service geeks like to set 'protection' to the max.  I don't know why.  Maybe its because of all the time they spend in the p*rn sites where there is lots of nasty stuff, or the warez sites -- Ditto.

Most of us who confine our discussions of mating, sexual organs, virgins etc. to bee sites should not have a lot to worry about.