Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5 frame nuc or 10 frame deep super?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
5 frame nuc or 10 frame deep super?
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:10:20 am »
I was wondering what's better for catching swarms.  I use the 10 deep and haven't had much luck.  from what I read looks like most use the 5 frame nuc.  Thanks, Edgy   p.s. sorry if this question has been asked before

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
Re: 5 frame nuc or 10 frame deep super?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:01:45 am »
5 frame nuc without frames. 10 frame deep is too bulky specially when you catch swarms on the trees.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:42:54 am »
I'm planning on using a 5 frame nuc size this spring. Definitely put frames in it. I'm going to put one frame in with some drawn comb on it, and the rest of the frames will be foundationless. 2013 was my first year with bees, and I have loved watching them build out comb on foundationless frames. It's cheaper than using foundation. It's cleaner and healthier for the bees. A swarm is in wax making mode and will draw frames out quickly.

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:57 am »
I'm planning on using a 5 frame nuc size this spring. Definitely put frames in it. I'm going to put one frame in with some drawn comb on it, and the rest of the frames will be foundationless. 2013 was my first year with bees, and I have loved watching them build out comb on foundationless frames. It's cheaper than using foundation. It's cleaner and healthier for the bees. A swarm is in wax making mode and will draw frames out quickly.

I use foundationless during honey flows as the frames are drawn faster with combs during a flow.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:48:26 am »
All I have ever used was 5 frame nucs and catch more than i need every year. I think i caught about 25 last year. I found that old used nucs placed on the edge of tree lines and on the edge of bayous (waterways) work the best. So if you have some used equipment, use that no matter what the size. The bee smell will out perform Lemon grass any day. Last year I started to not to even use lemon grass oil in the old used nucs, just a frame of dark brood comb and didn't see a deference.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:48:46 pm by gov1623 »
Who Dat!!!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:06:43 pm »
are you asking about swarm traps or when you go on swarm calls?  if i was going to set traps i'd use 5 frame deeps but i'd rather have a 10 frame hive on swarm calls just to be safe.  i drove up on a swarm a few miles from my place last year and only had a 5 frame ready and had to go back to get a second one because one wasn't big enough. 

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 01:11:14 am »
O.K., I'll convert to 5 frame foundationless nucs. Those full supers are kind of difficult to maneuver high on a ladder.  Thanks, Edgy 

anything