Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do You Talk to Your Bees  (Read 6905 times)

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Do You Talk to Your Bees
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 02:29:49 am »
You all are hilarious :)

Absolutely! I talk to everything, though. My weeds, the garden insects, the chickens and turkeys, and now the bees. And they DO talk to me. I love listening to their colony hum and trying to sense what mood they're in. When they talk back sassy, I have time to yell to my husband and kids to move back, move back!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:37:42 am by luvin honey »
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 09:47:04 am »
Ha ha, reading this I realize that I DO talk to my bees too occasionally...when looking for the queen I'll be mumbling  "Where oh where are you, your majesty?".  When I get stung I'll complain and explain to the stupid bee that now she's going to die.  Or apologize when it was my fault and I squished them.  Sometime I tell them to calm down when one starts looking at me suspiciously.

But I agree with the others, they don't listen to me either, just like my kids... :roll:
Rick

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 10:37:19 am »
I'm not sure which is more reassuring---the fact that you all talk to your bees, too, or the fact that nobody's kids listen to them (just like mine don't)  :-D
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline MarkF

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 02:00:49 am »
What, I'm the only one that tells them where to find the big field of flowers :?
Sting me once shame on you!
Sting me twice I guess I should have learned faster!

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 03:05:14 am »
Sure, I tell them to check out my flowers in the front yard...and while they are at it, to steal the nectar in the neighbors flowers and then to go find a nice clover lawn or two....and maybe pollenate the wildblackberrys that are growing in thickets around here......

and yes, they don't listen to me either....

Offline lisascenic

• House Bee
    • My Blog, "How's Robb?"
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 07:47:11 pm »
Each time, before I open the hive, I hold my hands over top cover and say, "I'm calm.  And the bees are calm."  Then a wait a moment, and then I get to work. 

Wow, that sounds really silly, now that I read it.

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 09:06:05 pm »
I talked toem today!  Got probably close to 300 stings!  Not sure what I said but they sure showed me who could holler loudest!  Guess you don't open hives without smoke in a thunderstorm!   :'(

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 12:51:25 pm »
Oh yes...and usually what I say is "Quit it" or "I'm not bothering you"  :-D

Offline cbuchh48

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 01:14:10 pm »
I spoke to them just yesterday after I dropped a frame. :shock: "Oops, sorry, sorry" as I backed away a step or 4. My girls are very forgiving. I've had 2 hives for a couple of months now and haven't been stung yet. I know it's coming but I think they like me. :-D I just wear a vail, short sleeve shirt and shorts and sandles. It's HOT here.

Chuck

Offline cheraboo

• Brood
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 06:05:11 pm »
Yup. I talk to the bees. But I also talk to our chickens, turkeys and lambs. I haven't heard any laughter yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time *lol*
Cheryl

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
Last time we talked, it was a pretty sad conversation. They were sounding confused and frantic, and I was apologizing. A bear had torn their hives apart the night before and I was trying to put them back together. I love the sounds of bees and how much that can tell you. Makes me wonder if I were blind, could I tell as much without all the visual cues?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 09:34:40 pm by luvin honey »
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Astrocycler

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 07:30:27 pm »
Of course.  Animals can sense our stress levels.  So, talking calmly to the bees puts out a calm vibe and the girls are cool with me.  Watch the Dog Whisperer... theory applies to bees too.  BTW, I do not believe they understand a word... kind of like having 80,000 wives:-)

Have fun,

Ed
I know it is going to be a good day when I get up in the morning look back in the bed and I am not in it!

The best part of having grandbrats is I now have people my own age to play with.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »
Nope. Never. Don't talk to my computer either. Nor the chickens or old deaf dog or horses or wild turtles or stupid house or leaky toilet or broken vacuum cleaner. Also, I've never been known to cuss out an inanimate object when I wham my shin against it.

And I didn't quite yell at my car when I hit the curb, twice, in the post office parking lot. Stupid bleeping car! What's wrong with it? (SHOULD have talked to the pharmacist for not warning me about those antibiotics.)

anything