Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help me buy my new still camera :)  (Read 4673 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Help me buy my new still camera :)
« on: May 11, 2010, 10:28:59 am »
Hey, it worked for JP so I'm piggie backing on his original post.  While installing my first 3 packages ever, I took the lil dumpy digital camera that we've had for years to the hives with me. Even though the screen said full battery, it puked out after the first shot and to be quite honest, the pics from my cellphone turned out better than the camera's.  I would like to have a good decent camera that won't break the bank with a good zoom and maybe an anti-vibration (whatever its called) feature.  Any recommendations?

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Help me buy my new still camera :)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:43:48 am »
I use a Nikon Coolpix L20 you can shoot up to 2 hours of video and it has a good but not great zoom.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »
I would stick with a higher end manufacturer if you can afford it (Nikon, Canon).

A few things to note.

1)  Always buy OEM batteries.  Knock offs will be nothing but trouble for you long term
2)  Always always always buy something that highlights OPTICAL zoom instead of DIGITAL zoom.
3)  If you can buy a camera that you can add stuff to.  I have a Nikon Coolpix P5100 that I can add lenses to and an external flash (it is NOT a DSLR)
4)  Buy a sturdy body construction such as magnesium...avoid plastic
5)  Most importantly buy something that is user friendly and take some time to learn about your cameras many functions!

Hope that helped!
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:20:58 am »
Go to www.dpreview.com and then click on the Buying Guide.

You can do side by side comparisons of cameras you're considering purchasing.

This site is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cameras.
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »
I would like to mention this camera: http://www.justbuyelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=735&ref=grabber

The guy I bought my camera from says its very good and almost indestructible.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:31:28 am »
I would like to mention this camera: http://www.justbuyelectronics.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=735&ref=grabber

...JP

Thanks. I'll look it up. Almost indestructible sounds like a disclaimer for people like me that is prone to dropping them out of the truck and then running them over.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 08:08:50 pm »

...JP

Thanks. I'll look it up. Almost indestructible sounds like a disclaimer for people like me that is prone to dropping them out of the truck and then running them over.

This is the camera I'll get for stills once my Casio dies, which it is very close to doing now. I need a camera that can handle getting honey all over it and being dropped from heights and into pond water. This one the guy says is the ticket.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:58:02 am »
I am also camera shopping.  Just wanted to post, so this would be easier to find.  Thanks!
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 12:45:14 am »
The coolpix cameras are all good choices..I have a coolpix 4300, one of the first to come out. I still use it on the boat, but when I wanna get really good shots I use my Nikon D-50.
Technology is moving so fast now that I'm almost afreaid to make a suggestion at this point because tomorrow you'll find something with bigger bells and whistles!
your friend,
john

anything