Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ohhhhh...I need heeeellllpppp. :)  (Read 7816 times)

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
Re: Ohhhhh...I need heeeellllpppp. :)
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 09:21:05 am »
There is a lot of info on M Bush's site ( bushfarms.com ) for the beginner and beyond.
That will keep you busy for awhile.  :-D

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 08:52:12 pm »
Standard nucs are usually 4 or 5  9 7/8" frames of bees and brood.   Since you have 6 5/8" you may have some difficulty finding nucs.

Bushy Mountain also has medium (6 7/8) nucs so that's not a problem.  They also offer a 2 story (boxes) medium nuc plus top & bottom--It used to list for $39.95 and that's what I'd order.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 09:04:31 pm »
The English Garden hive with two mediums is a nice start, but you'll need a lot more equipment before you're done.

My advice for newbees:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

More beekeeping info here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

It's 9 5/8" not 9 7/8" for the box and 9 1/4" for the frames.  Nucs usually come in four or five frames and deep or medium.  The most common seems to be five frame deeps.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnucs.htm

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline John D.

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 11:03:55 pm »
I started two packages last spring. One from R. Weaver & one from B. Weaver.  I ordered them a week apart so I wouldn't have to do two installations in one day until I got more experience.  The advice of having two has been very educational since they have been quite different in their development & temperment.  Navasota is close enough to Austin that you can pick them up (1 1/2 hours maybe).  It's a pretty drive & you don't get any dead bees.  The two Weavers are right next door to each other (like 200 ft) & there are no signs, so get good directions if you decide to go this route. Several people I know in my area have already placed their order for scheduled pick-up first week in April.  Enjoy the ride.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 06:43:45 pm »
  Hi Xeresana!
You're in the right place for bee info, thats for sure!
This is what I know.....I really like the kind of hive you got and I would like to get a couple like it but they cost more than the regular square hives.I think the only differences are the tops. I like the pointed copper tops better than flat but the bees dont care.
  Beekeeping for Dummies is a GREAT book!  The reason I believe this is that sometimes, like I did, reading some bee books leave you with questions like "whats that mean?" or "How do I do that?", or "Whats that?"...With the "Dummie" book, once you've gone thru it the other books start to make much more sense!

I started bees last spring and had a bunch of the same questions as you do now. I rememberd fishing with a guy named Luke so I called him and he helped alot and explained alot of bee terminology(Not enough to O.D. on tho.).

You probably should get another hive before spring. Like people here said, It helps with 2 hives so you can tell if somethings not quite right. If I hadnt had 2 hives I may have lost all my bees pretty quick.(of course, again, Luke told me about doing some tricks with the 2 hives and my bees were saved)

I got my bees(2  3 lb. packages with queens, costing about 200$) from R Weaver and they were a very informative Co. (Risa was the womans name who helped me when I called(several times) about what to do....But, remember this if you can.You should order bees now as R Weaver is supplying people with THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of bees and queens and they WILL run out. I ordered mine in November and got them in April. Im going to order more this year but I havent placed the order yet. I hope I dont have to wait too long for them to arrive.
  Oh boy!!...And talk about exciting!!!..I was THRILLED driving down the road from the post office with 2 packages of bees in the front seat with me!!It made me feel like I felt when, in the movie" A Walk In The Clouds" when they all were fanning the air airound the grapes to keep the frost away!!...ok, enough of that... I, after all the reading and looking at pictures about installing package bees , just went kind of stupid...wasnt sure of what to do but did it anyway!
 If you have a cell phone maybe you can find someone to kind of help you along while you're installing bees...Hmmmm....This is your husbands project right??LOL!!..I'm lucky enough that my buddy Paul helped me...My wife filmed it!!

If you come to this forum regularly you'll get tons of good advice! And I think you did real good getting a bee hive for your husband for Christmas, Especially if he's been showing an interest in beekeeping! I would like to get lots of people bee hives for Christmas but that would get pretty expensive. My wife thinks I want to do this just to get all the hives back!

Well. Thats all, and hope to see you here again!
your friend,
John

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
Look here for a bee install video. John filmed these himself. Check it out!!
http://www.youtube.com/njbeemaster
Some other good reading:
www.Beemaster.com

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 12:47:18 pm »
Hey,

Also handy to remember

BEES WILL ACTUALLY LIVE W/O HUMAN INTERVENTION    lol

What you do can have an effect no doubt, but they are hardy little creatures and you don't manipulate them so they will survive, as much as manipulate them so they won't swarm.

Even if they do swarm you still have a hive of girls, just 1/2 as big.

Relax, have a homebrew, enjoy the experience. It is a lot easier and a lot more fun than you could imagine, and also ala Abbe´ Warre´ you can do your bees in such a way that you only open your hives once a year to harvest.

But where's the fun in that?   lol

You'll ask one question here and get 10 different answers. So do your own research and keep in mind to check where exactly geographically the advice comes from and try to pick the ones from similar climates.

After awhile re-occuring themes will become apparent.

Mentors are mentioned a lot, and I don't know you, but more than a few of us just bought the darn things and went from there w/great success.

Welcome ....... and prepare yourself to be amazed at what the ladies can accomplish. Fear not as bees are vegetarian.    lol

cheers

peter

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 06:53:29 pm »
Is there some good reason why bees from the Weavers are nearly twice the cost of other bee suppliers? I mean really, $97 for three pound package? I also understand that there are higher risks of africanization from Texas bees.
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 11:33:59 pm »
Awww, gee hopeful!
Now you know what a fortune you're sitting on!
 I dont know why Weavers are higher than other places but I picked them for my bees because they were closer to me than any other supplier and i didnt like the idea of the bees having to get tossed around in a UPS truck for any length of time. When my bees showed up I dont think they had even got much of a chance to drink any of their syrup out of the can as it was practically still full!..So, maybe I paid more for the bees from R Weaver because of their speedy delivery. You've probably been hearing right about the Africans being more prevalent here in Tx but Probably no more prevalent than where you're at in Ok. You're really not that far from me. I've only caught about 5 swarms and havent seen any bees with little Afro hairdos' and sunglasses yet. Theres a few beekeepers here who will kill all wild swarms because they're afraid of them being africanized.Also. theres a law here that says you cant kill honeybees unless they are aggressive. Sooo, the catcher states that the bees seem aggressive and that allows them to kill the bees.They do this especially if the bees are in the walls of the house, The poisoning keeps the catcher from having to tear walls out. The catcher then collects easier money too.
 Are you going to buy some package bees this spring? Tell me if theres someplace closer than Navasota. I think Dadants in Paris Tx may be getting package bees in the spring but I'm pretty sure that these packages come from a place in Georgia and still cost about what Weavers do..But you have to pick them up,.Then again, if you have to pick them up you dont have to pay for shipping...but you still have to pay for gas...Just cant win...
ok,..thats all..
your friend,
john

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 10:30:48 am »
>>>>You've probably been hearing right about the Africans being more prevalent here in Tx but Probably no more prevalent than where you're at in Ok. You're really not that far from me. I've only caught about 5 swarms and havent seen any bees with little Afro hairdos' and sunglasses yet.<<<<

That's only the inner city bees.  :mrgreen: I checked my bees and they all spoke with accents, saying "You too skinny. Eata you pasta or I breaka you face".  The drones had little moustaches and called each other Mario and Luigi. It was a real relief. (Sorry to those who may be sensitive, no offense meant, just a little fun. Please insert German jokes as needed to get even). Actually, there are no AHBs in this part of OK yet. They are limited to the southwestern corner of the state (Altus area), and very few there.

Your other points are well-taken, and I have no clue where I am going to get my bees this year, but I'll be getting at least 15 hives worth, depending on finances. My "mentor" says he can get a good deal on bees, but has not talked with his supplier yet. I hope to get nucs for my new hives. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 10:44:04 am »
Ha, Hopeful.  That was kind of cute.

I am sure that some people think that my bees live in igloos, just like I have heard that many people that don't know much about Canada think that we all live in igloos.  Just thinking out loud, am compelled sometimes to say really weird stuff, hee, hee :roll: :) :).  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:53 am »
>>>>>many people that don't know much about Canada think that we all live in igloos.<<<<<

You mean you don't? :shock:

Actually, I used to play hockey back in the day and knew many Canadians (all Canucks play hockey, eh?). Spent my first honeymoon in Victoria and Vancouver.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 11:02:34 am »
Hopeful, oooohh, Victoria, beautiful, most beautiful, Vancouver too is beautiful, especially in the summertime, being on the water, there is the lovely breezes that blow across the city.  I live about 45 km northeast of Vancouver, on a good day it is about a 45 minute drive right to the heart of Vancouver.  I love that beautiful city.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline xeresana

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 11:30:34 pm »
Thank you guys so much for your help.  I did find a local beekeeping association that meets monthly.  I've heard great things about them and I've included a membership as part of my husband's gift.  I've been in contact with them and they swear that they have been great.  I'm really excited about beekeeping now. :)

Offline Mistura Fina

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2007, 04:10:28 am »
I don't think the bees care what home looks like. Beekeeping for Dummies will answer all your start-up questions and give you a few answers to questions that haven't popped up yet. It doesn't really matter where you get the bees, although you have some pretty good places to get bees there in Texas. I live in California and got my girls in Tex. You will be surprised at how many bee keepers you will find in your area once you get started. And they're always happy to help out.