Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ohhhhh...I need heeeellllpppp. :)  (Read 7816 times)

Offline xeresana

• New Bee
Ohhhhh...I need heeeellllpppp. :)
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:03:11 am »
Hi all.  I'm brand new to the forum so, please direct me to previous posts if my questions have been answered time and time again. 

My husband has had a dream of beekeeping.  I've checked our ordinances and we are OK to have a hive (actually two - but, let's not get crazy here).  So, for Christmas, I bought him a beginning beekeeping kit from Brushy Mtn.  I bought the English Garden Hive kit - uh...mostly because it was the prettiest hive I saw.  :roll: 

Anyway, it's on it's way here.  It comes with a First Lessons in Beekeeping book.  But, I just don't know a thing about bees or keeping them. 

Will that book tell us what we need to know?  Is there another resource you recommend?  Do we want packages or something called "nucs"?  Will "nucs" work with that pretty little English hive?  Is there a source for bees in Central Texas?  How would I find out?  Googling has not been successful. :( 

Help. 

Thanks. :)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Ohhhhh...I need heeeellllpppp. :)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:14:00 am »
Hello and Welcome to the forums. I have never read that book so I can't comment on what It teaches. I do however use and recomend the ABC/XYZ of beeculture and Beekeeping for dummies. Both have lots of Info and Ideas. I think you should do two hives so you can observe the differences of the two.  If you can do nucs, I would do them you can put them into your equipment and be a lot further ahead toward producing honey then you would with just packages.  Bweaver and Rweaver are in texas as well as others that I can't think of. 

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:32:20 am »
The weavers are all I know, but then I haven't bought any bees. I know there are a few beekeepers down that way (around Austin) some this forum I believe. Perhaps they will chime in.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:33:44 am »
Is the hive 8 or 10 frame?  I believe Bushy Mtn offers a choice.  I assume you purchased the 9 7/8 deep hive.

A Nuc is your best option for a beginners--locate a local bee equipment supplier or association.  It can be difficult to find a bee supplier that ships individual nucs (the cost can also be prohibative) so try to "piggy-back" your order with someone near you who is also ordering bees.  Then, again, you might be able to take your garden hive out to a local beekeeper and purchase several frames of bees and the queen and have them installed in your hive, on the spot.  You may have to resort to purchasing a package but the same options should be explored.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:51:56 am »
Welcome to the forums.  :)

I would ask that you update your profile to include you location so we can answer your questions better.

Happy Beekeeping.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:56:54 am »
I suggest contacting a local beekeeping group:
http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/indexDynFrames.htm?http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/Directories/TBA%20Chapters.htm&1

If your husband is going to take up beekeeping, getting involved with a local group and finding some mentors will be of great value. And, don't be surprised when you find yourself getting sucked into this fascinating hobby...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:33:44 am »
Welcome,
I have Beekeeping for Dummies and it is very easy to read. There are many on this forum to help you with any questions you may have.We have a lot of newbees here along with very experienced keepers here to walk the road of beekeeping with you.
Check with local bee supply places and local bee clubs. they should be able to help with getting bees locally.
Bees are able to be shipped via usps also.

Here is a link for weavers if you want to check them out,there are probably others,I'll try to find others later!!
http://www.rweaver.com/order.html

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:49:03 am »
Hi and Welcome.

I would strongly recommend starting with at least 2 hives.  That way you have something to compare to a resource to move around as needed.  If you loose a queen in your only hive,  your in trouble.  If you have a second hive, you can move eggs from it so that the queenless hive can raise a new queen.   I would also suggest buying marked queens, not only so you can find them easier,  but you can tell for sure if they have been superceded or swarmed.

There is a lot of info on the forums and I would suggest taking advantage of the search function provided
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?action=search;advanced
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:04:51 am »
The little book you get from brushy mountain gives some good info but not near enough. It is good starter reading but you will want something like beekeeping for dummies. There is a massive amount of info on this site if you use the search function .. Find you a local beekeeping club to help. There is probably someone closer than you think.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 09:31:49 am »
Mua-ha-ha ha!!!!  You don't plan on seeing much of him any more, do you?  :-D  Keep to one hive, that's funny!! (you will understand within a year or so)

I haven't read that book, but it will be a good place to start.  And here of course, there are so many of us beginners who have made almost every mistake imaginable  :roll:.  Don't be afraid to ask questions, although generally a quick search will expose a lot of answers.

One hive is a good place to start, but as previously mentioned, two will save you if you make the same mistakes I've made.

There are a lot of sources for bees.  I don't know of your local sources, but there are lots of mail-order places that can send package bees.  Package bees is just a screen box full of bees that will establish a hive.  But you mention a "nuc".  Nuc stands for "nucleus" (I think) and basically it is a little established hive with a queen and babies .  If you can find a supplier of nucs, you will probably be better off using those, but ultimately it doesn't matter all that much.

I told my wife when I started that I only wanted one or two hives.  I have no idea how the other 6 got back there.  I guess it is like collecting anything else...if you just sneak one in there at a time it won't be noticed as much.

I don't know how up to date this is, but its a place to start... http://www.beesource.com/suppliers/usbees.htm

There are a couple of monthly magazines "American Bee Journal" and "Bee Culture" that have not only nice articles but lots of ads for queen/package suppliers.

And have fun!  There is not much that compares to a sneaked taste from a broken dripping comb during a nice summer day!!!

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 10:06:21 am »
xeresana.  Welcome to our forum.  You have found a place that can baby you through the beginnings of beekeeping, along with the work that it looks like you are willing to do to help your Husband with his new hobby, yea!!!!  The Beekeeping for Dummies book, as others have told you, is an excellent book.  Get it.

You will be finding that you spend lots of time here, you can ask any question, asks to your heart's content.  YOu will always get answers, and always too remember, that no question is a dumb question, we were all beginners once in apiculture, as you and your Husband are.  We are patient, and love to help others to get great answers, and to one day become a great beekeeper, keeping healthy and great colonies of bees.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline xeresana

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 08:19:21 pm »
Thank you guys so much for the help!  I have updated my profile to reflect my Austin lccation. :)

Two hives?  I hadn't thought of two hives.  I'll have to read our city's ordinances again.  I think I can have up to two hives on our property.  Someone asked if the hive I bought was 9 7/8" deep?  Huh?  I don't even know what that means.  

Hmm...I tried to post a link to the hive, but the site won't let me.  It thinks I'm spamming or something.  Soooo...it is spamming to say that I bought item #252 - listed as a "beeginner kit".  Ha.  I love bee humor. 

Again, it was the prettiest one.  I hope bees like pretty things.  :roll:  Brushy Mtn is closed for the evening so, I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to call and ask about depth.

So, nucs might be easier for us?   Do you buy new bees every year or does a hive keep going?  Do the weavers sell nucs?  

I'm afraid I don't know enough to know what I should really be asking.  Uh...does anyone out there know what I should be asking?   :roll:

How do you we get started? What should we expect?  I called our local beekeeping club thingie and no one has called me back.  I called last week. :(  Maybe they are seasonal?  Will they really help our garden?  Will we really get honey one day?  Will I get stung a lot?  

Offline xeresana

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 08:29:48 pm »
And will I drive myself crazy if I try to keep this organic?  We keep our garden organic so, it seems like it would be kind of appropriate. :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 08:29:48 pm »

This Kit includes: An Assembled English Garden Hive (8-Frame) which includes copper top, 2 medium supers with frames, IPM(screened) bottom board, and 16 sheets of crimp wire foundation for you to install in frames. Also included: Hatless Veil w/Elastic, Lg. Plastic Gloves, Hobbyist Bee Smoker, Smoker Fuel 1 Lb., Bee Brush, 10" Hive Tool, Plastic Entrance Feeder, First Lessons Book and a Garden Hive Video.
Looks like it is 8 frame medium supers (6 5/8").
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline xeresana

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 08:36:57 pm »
Ummmm...so is this one OK or next time should I use a criteria other than pretty?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »

Someone asked if the hive I bought was 9 7/8" deep?  
> there are three sizes in boxes. deeps(9 7/8), mediums(6 5/8), and shallows.

So, nucs might be easier for us?
> They will build up faster and make a honey crop sooner.

Do you buy new bees every year or does a hive keep going?
> Most of your hives should make it through winter. there will be some losses from time to time.

Do the weavers sell nucs?  
> not sure on this.

I'm afraid I don't know enough to know what I should really be asking.  Uh...does anyone out there know what I should be asking?   :roll:
> we all have been there and done that. If i had a choice I would buy established hives or nucs.

How do you we get started?
> I would try to get a local person to mentor you and just purchase the supplies and bees.

What should we expect?  
> alot of learning and fun.

Will they really help our garden?
>I think so

Will we really get honey one day?
> I sure hope so. Probaly before the end of the season.

Will I get stung alot?
>I would say you will get stung. now on how much depends on how well protected you are.

Offline xeresana

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 10:33:29 pm »
OK....so there are several standard hive sizes, is that correct? 

So...what does a nuc look like?  Are they like frames already with bees on them that you put into the hive?  In that case, do nucs come in different sizes?

And on to bees...is there one type better than another? 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:03 pm »
Standard nucs are usually 4 or 5  9 7/8" frames of bees and brood.   Since you have 6 5/8" you may have some difficulty finding nucs.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 01:47:35 am »
Welcome to the forum and the exciting world of beekeeping. I started this year with one hive, but placed mine next to my brother-in-law's hive, so we had 2 next to each other. I would agree that it's important to have two, so that you can compare them. It's really no extra work.

I can also suggest that Beekeeping for Dummies has taught me a lot of what I needed to get off the ground. This forum was also another major source of encouragement, advice, and information. I would suggest that you read and read a lot (both of the book and these forums).

I was lucky in that I also had a mentor (my bro-in-law). I would suggest that you also find a friend in the same city that keeps bees and that you can call on at least once a month, have lunch with, or attend the local beekeepers association with. That will help in your quest.

Your hive is beautiful. Very nice choice. You might buy another like it, or boxes/frames of the same size. If you buy one set, I'd stick with the set's size for all of your equipment. That way you can use it interchangably. My bro-in-law has deep frames (deeper than mine), and we can't use each others stuff. In come cases that's good, but in your case, since they'll be next to each other, they should be the same specifications.

I bought a 'package' of bees and installed them in April. That means I bought a box of bees and placed the queen and workers and all into the hive, following the Beekeeping for Dummies instructions. It works, the girls (bees) loved their hive, and this year I got quite a lot of honey for being in my 1st year. You can have the same positive, enriching experience too.

Glad to meet you and hope to hear from you, your husband, and see what questions you have soon.

Regards,

UtahBees (Scott)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:13 am »
Ummmm...so is this one OK or next time should I use a criteria other than pretty?

It all depends on what you want...if you want pretty, then go for pretty, that hive looks nice.  Sometimes it has to do with $$$, I have budget restraints so I want cheap so I made my own, and they aren't pretty.  But the bees have very little fashion sense, thankfully, despite being females :-D

You can go primarily organic, but then especially you will want to have 2 hives.  And it depends how risk-averse you are...I hate losing a hive so I tend to treat the bees.  But there are some treatments that while not certified "organic" are definately more natural than they used to be.

You might want to check the library for some bee books.  My local library had quite a few...they were all 20 years old and didn't include anything about varroa mites, but were still useful.

Rick
Rick

anything