Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in mud?  (Read 5078 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
Bees in mud?
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »
Does anyone know why the bees are congregating at a mud hole where drainage water runs out of my yard?  I assume they are drinking water however I really don't know why they don't drink the fresh water that is not tainted at all.  There is a water source that they could easily access and they fly right by it on their way to this muddy ditch.  I have put a pic of it in this post so please offer any insight you may have. 

We are far from a drought here therefore I really cant figure out why the bees prefer the mud as their source.  Might there be something that they eat in the mud?

David

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Bees in mud?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:46:24 pm »
Minerals in the dirt are leeching into the water. They are after those minerals.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:02:26 am »
Minerals and electrolytes.  They love funky water for some reason....

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:57 am »
They will pass over some blooms to get to others. Same with water, they do like funky water. :shock: :roll:d2

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 07:48:43 am »
funky, salty, chlorine.

Maybe its more that they don't particularly care for fluoride.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
Bee thankful that its only mud, sometimes they gather water from much worse places  :-X

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:31:19 am »
They can suck water out of the mud with zero risk of drowning...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:14 am »
my bees drink water from an old lawn tractor seat cracked from years of sitting out back
they seem to love water from foam...my brother has an old pool liner that they love to drink what appears to be stagnant water...
i wudnt drink it but i guess in the end i must

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:03 am »
Bee thankful that its only mud, sometimes they gather water from much worse places  :-X

mvh Edward  :-P

Like horse apples and cow patties  :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Moots

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55:24 pm »
In addition to all the good replies already given....I also read somewhere that bees will not utilize a "fresh" water source.  Explanation was that they aren't interested in water that doesn't have an odor because they either have trouble locating it or relaying the location information to the other bees.

Have no idea if that's true, but it sounds plausible. Based on everyone's observations of where their bees like to drink, I'm tending to think there's something to it.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 01:02:23 pm »
Not true, my bees drink from dripping water hoses all the time.  But yes, they also enjoy wallowing in the mudd.  This time of year muddy water is probably a little warmer than fresh water.  Who likes to get their feet cold when drinking?

Moots

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 01:05:44 pm »
Not true, my bees drink from dripping water hoses all the time.  But yes, they also enjoy wallowing in the mudd.  This time of year muddy water is probably a little warmer than fresh water.  Who likes to get their feet cold when drinking?

Blue,
Maybe I should have said "odorless" instead of "fresh"... :)

As I said, I have no idea if it's true, but there is a difference.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:08:30 pm »
Not true, my tap water is odorless  :-D  (Not city water)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »
Dang it hurts, but I have to agree with Bluebee.  :evil:

They will take to a leaky faucet very quickly, whether city or well water. They will take what is available, but may make a choice between two sources, and it seems to always be the one we consider the dirtier of the choices.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 01:20:49 pm »
Dang it hurts, but I have to agree with Bluebee.  :evil:
Thanks iddee, that makes my day  X:X X:X X:X

Moots

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »
As I stipulated  in both my first and second post..."I have no idea if its true"!

However, I can't pass on the opportunity to have a little back and forth with Blue.  :-D

Not true, my tap water is odorless  :-D  (Not city water)

Odorless to you, or odorless to the bees...there is a difference!  :)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »
I see mine getting water from the ditch, the neighbors salt water pool and the little pond I put in the backyard. I have them land on me when I'm working in the yard and sweatting like a pig just to drink sweat. Kinda freaked me out about the sweat thing till I figured out what they were doing now it's pretty fun to watch.
Later,
Ray

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 11:28:20 pm »
As I stipulated  in both my first and second post..."I have no idea if its true"!

However, I can't pass on the opportunity to have a little back and forth with Blue.  :-D
Don't dig yourself into another hole Moots  :-D   Where's that hole digging emoticon when I need it  :)

Ray, that is funny.  Since becoming a bee keeper I have to make a conscious effort NOT to swat at anything I feel on my skin.  It is a little freaky though when the bees start licking your skin.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 11:58:35 pm »
Yeap, another marvel about beek, having bees land on you, crawl around on your skin, and not get stung.  Yeap, beek is an addiction.       

Joe

Moots

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 12:41:36 am »

Don't dig yourself into another hole Moots  :-D   Where's that hole digging emoticon when I need it  :)

Blue,
Exactly what color is the sky in your little world?  :?

Not only am I not digging a hole, I'm not even near a hole, much less in one!  :)

As a matter of fact, from where I'm sitting, I don't even see a hole!  :-D (I'll graciously pass on all the opportunities to insert an off color joke here!  :evil:)

But I would love some clarification on exactly how you know what your bees can and can't smell.  ;) ....just saying!   :laugh: