Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top feeders in spring  (Read 1762 times)

Offline eddiedlzn

• New Bee
Top feeders in spring
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:04:40 am »
I purchased two top feeders this year. I heard from a few folks that they do not work well in the spring. Is this a fact?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Top feeders in spring
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:31:32 am »
They do not work well with chilly nights and cool days as the syrup doesn't get warmed up enough.  If you wait for a warm day and warm up the syrup they work fine.  You could warm up the entire feeder's worth by putting it all in a pan and bringing it up to about 90 degrees or you could just take a saucepan full and boil it and pour it back in to warm up the rest.  Or, empty it, flip it upside down and use it over some baggies.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:27 am »
That gives me an idea for the drowning bees. What about taking the screen out of the top feeder and putting 2 or 3 baggies in the feeder where the syrup would normally go? That serves the purpose of a large capacity feeder and catches any syrup that may spill out of the baggie? Has anyone tried that?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:58:39 pm »
That gives me an idea for the drowning bees. What about taking the screen out of the top feeder and putting 2 or 3 baggies in the feeder where the syrup would normally go? That serves the purpose of a large capacity feeder and catches any syrup that may spill out of the baggie? Has anyone tried that?

An idea that sounds like it's worth a try.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:43 pm »
They will work better on top of the cluster than up inside the feeder.  The bees still won't want to get too far from the cluster on chilly nights and on top of the cluster the syrup gets warmed up.  I would flip the feeder upside down and put the baggies on the top bars.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything