Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Things you dont use  (Read 5829 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Things you dont use
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:54 am »
I was just reading an older thread about buying equipment for new beekeepers and I started to review things I have paid for but ended up not using. Here is my short list, what is yours ?

Bee brush, brand new and sitting on a stump in my yard, I never pick it up

Frame grip, got it, used it once. It is laying with the bee brush.

Queen excluders, I have two brand new, never been out of the shed. I have no plans on using them.

Foundation, I paid for 80 sheets pierco foundation and then decided to go foundationless, ended up selling it to a club member for a big discount.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Things you don't use
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:16:31 pm »
keep the 1st 3, they do come in handy from time to time.

i got some things with wire cones on them.  something about keeping hives from swarming by keeping the queen in?  looked like drone clogs to me!

extra helmets and veils. 

odd size and odd bits of wooden ware.

other bits and pieces that i have not identified.  all from bulk buys.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
Re: Things you dont use
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:24:08 pm »
Queen excluders, Hive top feeders
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 04:56:15 pm »
Bee brush, smoker fuel, a container of Fumadin B, 3 queen excluders, four wooden hivetop feeders, about 15 plastic hivetop feeders, metal frame spacers, electric capping knife, and three insulated hive wraps. Probably have more but this is all I can think of now.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:43 pm »
boardman feeders and queen excluders never used either one but I have them if ever needed

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Things you don't use
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 05:45:00 pm »
keep the 1st 3, they do come in handy from time to time.

i got some things with wire cones on them.  something about keeping hives from swarming by keeping the queen in?  looked like drone clogs to me!

extra helmets and veils. 

odd size and odd bits of wooden ware.

other bits and pieces that i have not identified.  all from bulk buys.

Yea this is a drone trap.  They used to use these years ago to get rid of drones so they weren't a "drain" on the colony.  Boy how things have changed! :-D

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:01:00 am »
frame eyelets, eyelet tool,  clip queen catcher
John 3:16

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:30:23 am »
Funny how different we all are;

Eyelets and a small star bit screwdriver adapted as the eyelet tool . . . use them to rewire the 12 or so frames I cut comb honey from each year

Hive top feeders . . . hope to not have to feed, but when I do, that is my feeder

Queen excluders . . . . one for each hive and would not be without them.  It is so nice to have white honey comb, and to know where the queen is not.

Bee Brush . . . now and then I need to pull a frame or two of perfect, capped honey to sell as is, or to cut for wide mouth jars.

Frame grabber . . . thinking about using it to turn brats on the grill.  Don't use it for anything else.

Electric capping knife . . . . love mine but then can't justify an uncapping machine.

2 solid bottem boards . . . . priceless  errrrrrrrr   usless
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:32:36 am »
Frame grip, bee brush, box of unopened apiguard.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 12:44:31 am »
About 10 hive top feeders, would say bee brush but found a use after carrying it around for years.... boxing swarms from side of a building.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 01:33:38 am »
In my case everything i have i've used with decent results but the biggest blunder i made was buying a beesuit and gloves.  Way too hot way to restrictive and end up making the girls madder suited up then with nothing.  So i'm gonna say my most worthless junk has to be my bee suit.  Just from my persective though i know alot of you guys love them and use them all the time just not my thing.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:04:57 am »
frame grip, should use it, used once or twice, worked ok but then so do my hands, boardman feeders, came with kit, don't use them, queen excluder, sittin in the corner, not going to use them , don't want to. frame holder should use it, don't seem to remeber to carry it out.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:12:47 am »
Frame grip, never
Smoker, rarely
Pollen patties, never
Gloves, never
Mite trap, never (yet)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 11:40:24 am »
Different strokes for different folks seems to be the statement of the day here. One example is opinions on the frame pullers. I bought a new one from Mann Lake and two second hand ones off a guy a few years ago. I love mine and just like hive tools I can never seem to find my good one when I'm looking for one. If anyone here who doesn't use theirs anymore wants to get rid of it please shoot me a PM and let me know how much you want for it and what brand it is. Maybe we can work something out ? Thanks,

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 03:51:01 pm »
Queen excluder
smoker fuel ( I now use burlap and love it)
Rite Cell plastic foundation that came with the kits (I did recently saw it up for starter strips, however, and it works great for that)
Inner Covers
Brian

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:29 pm »
My two frame hand crank extractor and hot knife for removing the capping.  Now I do only crush and strain.  My 2 Queen excluders, my followers boards (although I may give them another try)

I keep everything just in case things change in the future.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 09:12:58 pm »
One gallon bucket feeders with the screens.  The plastic heaves too much from changing temperatures and makes them leak.  Now I use the bucket for a place to put my hive tools.

Poultry waterer.  Too many drowning victims.

I like the one gallon paint cans.  That one came from Brian Bray.  Even the cans don't get used very often.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 12:27:39 pm »
I seem to be the only one who uses everything I bought. Maybe its because I didn't go overboard buying stuff, but still it seems like alot of people find at least some of their tools useless.

I bought a toolbox with a few hive tools and I use all of them, I never bought chemicals or food.
Greg, I do love my frame grips, the yellow one with the prybar on the end is my favorite.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Pry-and-Grip-Tool/productinfo/217/

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 07:51:00 pm »
     The only thing from the original kit that I do not use on a regular basis is the hive tool.  I bought a maxant hive tool that I like better.  The old one is secondary and disappears alot.  No excluder came with the kit, styrene hive top feeder is used if feeding is needed, the foundation was cut into starter strips and screened bottom board is still in use as well as the mite drop board.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:49 am »
Greg, I do love my frame grips, the yellow one with the prybar on the end is my favorite.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Pry-and-Grip-Tool/productinfo/217/
I'll be putting that on my list for the free shipping sale in December.  :-D