Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm in July???  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Switchback

• House Bee
Swarm in July???
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:41:33 am »
I got my first swarm about 6pm last night. Went back at 9pm and locked them up and moved them to my house. My question is how much to feed them. It is July and I know they say a swarm in July not worth a fly. I need to get them ready for winter. But I have one hive that is just getting going good (package 5-29-13). I don't want a lot of robbing or make welfare bees out of them. Thanks in advance for any advice.   
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking." J. C. Watts

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm in July???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:08:14 am »
You have plenty of time to get them ready for winter. Give them a frame of open brood to keep them where they are! :bee:

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 08:14:48 am »
Are they on drawn comb or foundation?  If foundation feeding in the hive wont hurt.   With so much flowering robbing isn't really a issue yet

Offline Switchback

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:40 am »
They have 4 frames of foundation and 6 frames foundationless. I am due to open the other hive this week so I think I will rob a frame of brood that's a good idea.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:10:41 am »
But I have one hive that is just getting going good

How big is your swarm? How many frames it covers.

Feeding the swarm means only that you save money when you use sugar to make comb wax instead of honey.

A swarm has 3 days food with it, and it does not need feeding in the middle of summer.

If parent hive is weak, it is better to join the swarm to parent hives after  5 days.
The hive parts cannot get honey when splitted.

When using
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Switchback

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:43:10 am »
The swarm covers 3-4 frames. It looked to be 1 1/2 times what my package bees were. So that would make it 4-5 pounds of bees. They seem to be doing well. I will feed them some sugar water today so i will give them a quick look today. Thanks for the reply.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 09:35:15 am »
I should have stated that it needs to be a frame of open brood!
It may be good to have a water source for them in this heat wave were having too. :drowning:

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:46:50 pm »
I should have stated that it needs to be a frame of open brood!
It may be good to have a water source for them in this heat wave were having too. :drowning:
big rain coming tomorrow Terry!!!   batten down the hatches

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 01:52:08 pm »
The swarm covers 3-4 frames. It looked to be 1 1/2 times what my package bees were. So that would make it 4-5 pounds of bees. They seem to be doing well. I will feed them some sugar water today so i will give them a quick look today. Thanks for the reply.

When I bought long time ago swarms, 2 kg (4 pounds) covered one Langstroth box.

3-4 frames is minimum size colony. It may expand when they draw foundations.

Put to it a dummy board. Give to them 5 frames that cluster can  expand.
They draw combs better when box is warm and heat do not escape to empty part.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 04:09:53 am »
Switchback, I'm a new-bee, too, but my 2cents is to feed, feed, feed, feed so they can build comb. It looks like you guys are still getting plenty of rain, so they can't forage in that. I would leave it the syrup on until they absolutely quit taking it.

Have you found your local bee club yet? Do you have a mentor?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline Switchback

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 04:28:59 pm »
I gave them a frame of brood on Monday. I took a look yesterday when I refilled the feeder. They are now covering about 5 frames of the hive. They are doing a good job of drawing out and building foundation. I looked this morning and the feeder is empty again. I will fill it tomorrow. I don't have a mentor or belong to a club. But in our little town we have a bee supplier Draper supper bee (http://www.draperbee.com). They are very willing to help any way they can.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:09 pm »
I gave them a frame of brood on Monday. I took a look yesterday when I refilled the feeder. They are now covering about 5 frames of the hive.

5 frames is a small colony.

Stop feeding. It is middle summer now. They draw combs when they need them.

You just fill valuable brood cells with sugar.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:22 pm »
I would feed if you are in a rainy spell. Mid summer doesn't matter that much if nothing is blooming in your area. Surly the swarm had a queen and she should be laying with in a few days unless she is a virgin queen, then that would add only a few days. I don't think they will fill all the cells before the queen can get some eggs in there.

You will have to look at the current weather and what is blooming in your area before you can determine whether to feed or not. Nothing added to nothing = nothing. Feed if you think you should.  :) d2

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 11:41:29 pm »
Came home this afternoon to find dozens and dozens of bees hitting the swarm traps out on my porch.  Looked around for a swarm and could not find one.  After an hour they were not out there.  I am expecting a swarm in the area any day now if this one has not flown the coop already.