Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Removal 2013  (Read 3101 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
First Removal 2013
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:51:35 pm »

This removal was in an old pecan tree getting ready for cut down. Only filled five deep frames with brood, pollen and mixed honey and 3 frames honey. Was not able to locate queen and have to go back and check up on the girls tonight to see if all is ok. Took only three hour to get em out.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: First Removal 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:54:40 pm »
Good job.  You ready to give them a frame of eggs?   Might be good if you didn't get queen
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:51:52 pm »
Good job.  You ready to give them a frame of eggs?   Might be good if you didn't get queen
Bailey.
Not sure if I got the queen and the way they were acting I don't think so but plenty of brood.
Blanc
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:49 pm »
Did you see any eggs or any day old larva. If You did, they should be able to make a Q.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:14:33 am »
What a neat hole.  How did you know where the colony was?
It's a shame the tree will be going.  You could add a little verandah and it would make a nice perch for a koala or whatever.

Lone

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 09:17:19 am »
miss lone how do you cook them koala or are they just airplane adds
to bee or not to bee

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:51:37 am »
Did you see any eggs or any day old larva. If You did, they should be able to make a Q.

Yes the had some but no a real strong hive so hoping for the best.
Blanc

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:53:15 am »
What a neat hole.  How did you know where the colony was?
It's a shame the tree will be going.  You could add a little verandah and it would make a nice perch for a koala or whatever.

Lone
I just cut a window below the entrance hole to establish where the bottom of the hive started and worked my way up. Last tree I done was almost eight foot tall hive.
Blanc

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
You could have shaped that tree into a "tiki head" and really made a statement!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »
You could have shaped that tree into a "tiki head" and really made a statement!

Scott
Hey Scott, It is a huge pecan and too close for comfort for the owner so has to come down. Hive was smaller than I expected and did a combine with a strong hive. Too early of spring weather here to be comfortable. Pics looked like big numbers but they were all out ready for the attack.  :-D
Blanc

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »
Great pictures, now I am getting anxious for warmer weather , I have two removals waiting for me, one in an old farmhouse and one in a tree, the tree will be a trapout only,  on the farm house I may do a trapout first then remove the rest.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:45:56 pm »
trapout kinda a pain and takes a while if you got plans fo a cut out go on and get them and be done
to bee or not to bee

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
Don't see to many Koala down here in Louisiana.. :-D Maybe a raccoon can hang there...lol Looks like you might be a surgeon the way you dissected that tree.. Cool pics Blanc 
Marshall

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:03:18 am »
Great photos, thanks for posting!  I can't wait for the weather to break and I can do those again.  Cutting the pecan down to boot?  I'm looking at all the great wood for my BBQ pit and outdoor brick oven.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

anything