Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Want to extract a couple frames of honey  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Bill the Beekeeper

• New Bee
Want to extract a couple frames of honey
« on: August 02, 2005, 07:09:31 pm »
I have only a few frames of honey that I need/want to extract the honey out of. I have no access to an extracting machine, so can I just cut the tops off of the combs and drain it into a pan?

What is the best way to get this honey out of the combs?
Bill the Beekeeper

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 08:36:37 pm »
It won't drain very well. I've tried it. Some of the honey came out, but no where near all of it. The only option I think you have is to scrap off all the comb and squeeze & strain it. I've done that most of the time.

Beth

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
extracing honey
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:21:25 am »
I have been told that you can remove the comb from the frame and place it in a bucket.  Next mash the comb until all the honey is squeesed from it.  Pour it through a strainer and there ya go.  This is best done on a hot day.  This is what a friend told me, I myself have never tried it.  Hope this helps.
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 10:47:50 am »
There is a certain amount of waste from the layer of honey you can't get off all the equipment.  If you only have a couple of frames to do, I'd crush and strain or do cut comb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 06:37:26 pm »
This crush methid seems to waste a lot of wax in the form of drawn frames that you could use next year too.  there must be abeekeeper around that will share a small hand-crank extractor with you.....
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline buck

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:42:54 pm »
If you crush up the comb real well and let it sit for a day, the wax be floating  in a layer on the honey. Squeeze this wax to remove the honey then wash it in water before carefully melting. I did this the first year but there is no substitute for an extractor. I was able to rent one from the local Dadant office.