Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New to beekeeping in Lehigh Acres, FL  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Tylertshue

• Brood
New to beekeeping in Lehigh Acres, FL
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:31 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get into beekeeping but I do not have that much money to start. So I am trying to find used equipment or plans to make my own equipment any help would be great.
Tim Tyler

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: New to beekeeping in Lehigh Acres, FL
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Read over a few of the topics. There are many about how you can make your own equipment.

Other than that, keep an eye out in the For Sale section as well as on Craigslist. If you are patient, and know what you are looking for (which after some research you will) you can find some very good deals.

Also, I recommend finding and joining your local beekeeper's association. Occasionally they do some raffles for bees, and there are a few groups out there that will give starting beekeepers a free set of woodenware and bees if you qualify.

Good luck.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:09:13 pm »
Welcome fellow Floridian!

You're in a good area for bees...is Lehigh Acres still rural? I know ya'll have been going through a building boom around there.

Make sure to read up on small hive beetle (SHB) and africanized honey bees (AHB). You've got both down there.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tim adams

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 09:36:08 pm »
Welcome!
     I grew up in SW Florida and it's a great place for bees. I think our main problem is small hive beetles I wish they had stayed in Africa!! There is a great club in the Ft Myers area and you can learn alot from them and maybe find some of the stuff you looking for.
http://swfbees.com/
Good Luck!
Tim Adams