Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Iowa  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Hi from Iowa
« on: January 09, 2006, 01:49:42 am »
My name is Steve and I live in northcentral Iowa.  I'm retired from the Air Force and have lived all over the world but settled back at the home place about 12 years ago.  I became curious about  beekeeping a few years ago and bought some books to satisfiy that need.  I have some property in the country that has been usused for about 25 years and I had thought of putting hives out there but never followed through.  A coworker, who has a five-acre acreage mentioned beekeeping at work a few weeks ago and that piqued my interest again and I drug out the books.  I ordered my first hive and some related equipment from Brushy Mountain last night and I've created three more lists of things I will be getting to complete my kit before my first season as a bee rancher begins.  You will probably see a lot of me on the forum asking questions and picking your brains for information.  I'm an eternal optimist so I'm counting on this first year's experience being a good one and hoping to expand next year if all goes well, and it will.   Talk to you all later....T

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Hi from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:58:43 am »
Welcome aboard Steve - You'll find everyone on this board is pretty pleasant and knowledgable. They were all a big help to me when I was first getting started.  Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Hi from Iowa
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:34:20 pm »
Thanks Amy.  Unlike most men I will ask directions.  I checked out your journal entries on your 'Beeyard' site and will continue to do so for progress reports.  I'm going to a weekend seminar the first of March to try to learn something about beekeeping.  Books (and forums) are good but quite often they bring rise to more questions than answers.  

I got to spend some time in eastern MA in the early 80s.  I was sent by the AF to work in a tower on Cape Cod during the FAA strike.  Later, in 1998 and long after I retired from the AF, I worked for a government contractor who was awarded the contract to operate that same tower when it was privatized.  I was director of ATC Ops for them and went up there every summer for a few days on an inspection visit.  I love Cape Cod.  Love Boston too.  One of my favorite cities.  

Thanks for the welcome......T

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Hi from Iowa
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 06:40:14 pm »
Hey Steve, great to have you aboard! Ask any question you like, there are just some you cant find in books, good luck :D
Ryan Horn

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Hi from Iowa
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 08:06:05 pm »
Thanks for looking at my journal. Unfortunately, I haven't updated it much.  I'm in the middle of my master's degree, and unfortunately all of my journaling has suffered.