Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wintering SHB....  (Read 11141 times)

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Re: Wintering SHB....
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 04:13:19 am »
SHB still a problem at this time of year for Central NC.

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 01:17:18 am »
I feel do to the mild winters in the south we have a lot more issues with the shb.  I hate shb with a passion.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 09:24:54 am »
OK, looking at Linda's picture of the SHB sipping some honey alongside the bee perplexes me.  Why doesn't the bee exterminate the beetle.  Surely the bees must know the beetle is an invader.  Anyone got a good comment on this?  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:50 am »
Actually some of what I read says that the bees often feed the SHBs.  I have found piles of them propolized in between the edges of frames in my hives, but never have seen a bee bee-ing friendly until this picture (and it was an accident - a small part of a much larger picture I was taking of bees on the frame.)  The cider vinegar trap I am using worked well during the hot weather.  Haven't checked it in a couple of months.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 09:56:32 am »
Linda, what they hey!!!  Now that is the weirdest thing that I have ever heard.  Why on earth would the bee feed a SHB, doesn't make much sense now does it?

It looks like the SHB is small, wonder why the bees would not just carry it outside instead of spending the energy to propolize?  Strange eh?  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 10:35:13 am »
I Hope those Critters don't make it to california
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 11:04:49 am »
wonder why the bees would not just carry it outside instead of spending the energy to propolize?  Strange eh?  Great day. Cindi

The bug gets into the cracks and the bees fill in the cracks that they were going to fill anyway.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 12:12:02 am »
I Hope those Critters don't make it to California
kirk-o

I have heard they are in California, they have been for a few years now, odds are they could have got there from the migratory for the almonds,,, that's the story!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 03:31:11 pm »
Perhaps they do die in the winter in your area, and re-populate from the south as the weather warms up in spring. they just follow the good weather north like senior citizens!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 08:39:59 am »
Because it's cold, I haven't been opening my hives, but yesterday I could see liquid on the ground under the hive that has a sugar water feeder inside it, so I opened the hive to take out the feeder and see what gives.  I have a bottle with holes in the lid upside down on the frames just over the cluster. 

When I pulled out the bottle there were five happy as a clam SHBs all over it.  I haven't checked the traps in at least a month and now am worried that my hives are full of SHBs but don't want to open the hives to check the apple cider vinegar traps while it's cold.

Should I? :?

I'm thinking next weekend if we have an Atlanta warm spell, I'll pull out the apple cider vinegar traps and refresh the vinegar.  These critters are amazingly endurable - and mine certainly are not living in the ground through the winter - they are thriving in my hives.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 10:23:06 pm »

I don't feel that the small hive beetle is a threat this time of year to my bee colonies. Its too cold and the humidity is too low. Even if we did have some shb larvae emerge within the hive the bees would kill it and dispose of it. People, your problem this time of year is the varroa mite. This mite weakens the colony making way for the shb ( when the temperature & humidity rise) to take over the hive. Again this is no threat to my beekeeping operation as I have a vinegar vaporizer that I can use to take care of both beetle and mite   Charlie

anything