Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive top cover question  (Read 3813 times)

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
Hive top cover question
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:17:03 pm »
I am hearing from some to tip the outer cover with a stick to get the condensation to run to the front. Then others tell me to use foam on the outer cover and a top vent. Would it be best to tip the whole hive so the water runs to the front then put foam under the outer cover .  Im all ears :P

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
Re: Hive top cover question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »
My hives are tipped forward. In my limited experience, top ventilation helps alot with moisture in the top of the hive.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »
i put popsicle sticks or a penny under each corner of the inner cover that will give the hive plenty of ventilation
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:26:33 am »
I had condensation problems before.  Then I tipped the hives forward slightly & insulated the beneath the telescoping cover.  I also added a shim between the Inner cover & the telescoping cover with a screened 1 inch hole in it to vent any excess moisture.

-The insulation keeps warm & humid bee breath from condensing on the underside of the telescoping cover
-The tilt forward allows any condensation to flow toward the front wall of the hive and not drip down on the cluster in the middle.
***there is always condensation in a winter hive***
-Again, the small vent hole helps reduce the amount of moisture inside.

Vent Shim before insulation

Vent Shim insulated

The Telescoping cover goes on top of this

Make Mead!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:44:18 am »
If you have screen bottom, you need not upper ventilation

do not ventilated air inside the gap of inner cover and rain cover.
That is worst you can do.

If you need upper ventilation, make a finger size hole in front wall. Round shape is the best.

If the inner cover has moisture because of condensation, add insulation.
Condensation happens on coldest surfaces.

I have here now -20C and condensation of respiration moisture will happen inside the hive and there are more or less snow inside. When the weather turns milder, the snow inside will melt and drop onto bottom. Nothing happens to bees.

One thing more: before wintering deminish the wintering room to minimum. So the hive box is warmer and that changes the relative moisture better to bees.
Of course, the heat is friend of bees.

Language barrier NOT included