Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Second Removal Of 2011 With Emil  (Read 7545 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Second Removal Of 2011 With Emil
« on: February 20, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »
This was a big hive, very long, 8 to 8 1/2' of horizontal hive. Emil believes even longer than that but I did not take a measurement. Old comb and lots of bees. The comb sections were not very deep and tailor made for shallows. Neither one of us use shallows so we cut the combs and double stacked them in deep frames. Worked perfectly. 

The queen is large with a golden abdomen. No swarming today!  :-D

The area we worked in was narrow, between the garage and a chain link fence, and quite shady, so it wasn't the best set up for filming with my camera. I apologize for the poor quality footage, its not horrendous but irritating albeit watchable.

Hope you enjoy it!

...JP

Second Removal Of 2011 With Emil
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Second Removal Of 2011 With Emil
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:43:02 pm »
Ya, 8 in a half feet of black comb there.   Is that the new beesuit JP?

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:51:15 pm »
Another Great show
I came in from looking at mine and cutting some swarm nucs just in time too sit and watch another
How its Done Folks
staring JP (aka the Beeman) and Emil(aka monkey-man)

Thanks
Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:58:36 pm »
Another great video.  I love watching these.  Is this how you make a living?
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:53 pm »
Okay, you're just having too much fun now.  Save some for the rest of us....  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:40:55 pm »
Jim, a good part of what I do is performing removals. I am a licensed pest control operator who specializes in live removals. I have a few employees who perform pest control duties but roughly 9 to 9 and 1/2 months of the year I perform removals and catch swarms. I also do other duties as well, like catch squirrels and pull possums out of people's bath tubs, fun stuff.  :-D

This is the Golden Bee jacket but not the one I will be showcasing, that will come within the next few days. Suzie and I have been having a little trouble getting together. I will be calling her to possibly pick it up today sometime.

Thanks for the feedback!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:59:23 pm »
Thx JP!

What a welcome relief as I sit and watch snow fall at a rate of an inch an hour. We are supposed to have over a foot by morning.  :shock:

Jay

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:54:07 pm »
I think we need to figure out a way to mount those big ones :-D...great catch!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
Hey Scott, I'm hoping to bring a squirrel box and maybe another speaker to Bud's for removals. How's the trailer observation hive doing?

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »
Population is still strong on the pop up but I'm trying to treat with OA vapor (tough to do) they've got some DWV happening.

I'll get 'em there healthy though...don't fret :)

I could bring a bee tree too but it sounds like between us we'll have a full load??

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 10:44:27 am »
So how many boxes of bees did you have when all was said and done?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »
I apologize for the poor quality footage, its not horrendous but irritating albeit watchable.
It's video. With bees. And cutouts.
I'm not gonna complain.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:26 pm »
Watching these videos is like crack... without all the nasty side affects. :)  Thanks for posting!
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:26:24 pm »
You guys give me just that little extra push I need when I don't feel much like editing down after a long day, thanks a bunch!

Scott trying to verify what I'm bringing. The two mentioned were/are at two different locations, at least they were last time I checked, but who knows what I'll wind up with come Bud3.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 05:24:34 am »
Just got back tonight and will watch this later on. Just a quick peak and it looks like fun.

Annette

Offline uglyfrozenfish

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:48 am »
Nice removal JP.  That was fun to watch. 
My 21 month old daughter thinks so too.  After watching a couple of your videos she now points at the computer and demands "bees". 

thanks again.
Lee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »
So how many boxes of bees did you have when all was said and done?

We sealed up a deep and a medium full of bees. Emil took them back home with him and released the queen the following day.

A lot of the comb on the right side was unusable, just very old and he used the drone comb for his chickens.

I used the drones from the first removal for my  chickens.  :-D

...JP

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »
goodun cajun
to bee or not to bee

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 09:53:35 pm »
goodun cajun

Bud, one of these days I just might have to kidnap you and bring you back down my way so we can do a cut out together and make a video.

I promise to put meat in the beans!  :-D

...JP

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 02:45:20 pm »
"We sealed up a deep and a medium full of bees. Emil took them back home with him and released the queen the following day. "

Did you add another box or two to relieve congestion.  Im curious how big a colony it would have turned out to be if it ended up in my back yard if you know what I mean.  Was all the comb full of bees when you started cut out.?  I know its late winter there too but I have no idea how the season effects populations down there.

Must be fun living down there.  I cant imagine havening so many cutouts available all year.  I have only had one swarm call (other than my my uncle calling me when my own swarmed) and by the time I called back it was gone.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson