Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fist Attempt at Funnel Trap-Out removal.  (Read 5876 times)

Offline abelltx

• New Bee
Fist Attempt at Funnel Trap-Out removal.
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:21:39 pm »
I went through most of the forums on the subject of removing honeybees, however my attempt failed. I would like some advice as to possibilities of changes. First let me give you a re-cap of my attempt.
1. Bran-new hive (Black Plasticell Frames [no drawn out]) except for one frame that had brood in it. They were not capped but had eggs a few larvae.
2. I filled the entire feeder tank of sugar water at a 1-1 ratio.
3. I duct-taped all the possible entries and placed a funnel at the busiest entry.
4. I then placed the bee-hive within 1-foot from the funnel.
Please see attached video.
youtube.com/watch?v=FtnRJNSt6os
The video is 24 hours into the project. However at 48 I checked on them they were still as they were at 24 hours. They also were just robbing the frame and not working it. However, they were extremely aggressive. When arrived on the scene the neighbor told me he was just stung, and within a few minutes of working with the bees, I was covered could not get them off me. When I went to my vehicle (40 yds away) they flew in and started stinging my dog. I had to fumagate them at this point. They became too much of threat for everyone. I am upset and dissappointed and would like some clarification. After reading my description is there any words of advice to give.

I was considering doing the same idea, but instead of blank funnel, put a tube at the end, and run into an entrance only hive. After a few days, of collecting all the workers I would remove them to a new habitat and release the door, in hoes they will use the hive as their own.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Fist Attempt at Funnel Trap-Out removal.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »
Have you read any of my posts on trap outs at all? I don't think so. I have explained why the cone has to be 1/8 in. hardware cloth. Not a funnel, not screen, not 1/4 in. hardware cloth. Never have I suggested placing robber attracting sugar water near a trap out.

With the funnel, they know exactly where to go back in at, while appreciating the food that was given to them. The robbing bees from the neighborhood were irritating them, along with the new entrance. It was doomed from the beginning.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline abelltx

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 10:29:40 am »
Well when I joined this forum I did read the by-laws and I appreciated Rule #2. However, my very first reply was quite rude and belittling to a point, I am not sure I want to talk to anyone else here. I came here for help, but instead, I was made to feel like a complete illiterate moron. I am sorry I asked.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:15:18 pm »
I am sorry you took it that way. It was not meant in that manner. Please read it again, in hopefully a new light. Although I do not claim to be a Ronald Reagan type speaker, I do try to give good, truthful info without causing hard feelings. Try to see the info given, not the ineptness of the speaker.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Luckyparrot

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:51:48 pm »
Abelltx, Iddee talked to you that way because he treated you like a friend, just as he treats everyone in this community. Please don't take it too personal. Life is too short to be littled. And Iddee, thanks for the useful info. From reading Albelltx's post, I would never know why the bees were so aggressive. I thought they were killer africans.

Offline suncoast

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 09:08:48 pm »
Where was the hive ? Might have some AHB .

Offline abelltx

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:12:37 pm »
AHB?
African Hillbilly Behavior?

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:32 pm »
Well when I joined this forum I did read the by-laws and I appreciated Rule #2. However, my very first reply was quite rude and belittling to a point, I am not sure I want to talk to anyone else here. I came here for help, but instead, I was made to feel like a complete illiterate moron. I am sorry I asked.
Now, now, relax.  Iddee is a legend in the beek world.  His responses to my first trap-out questions were VERY helpful.  You'll find his input invaluable as well.  You'll have to admit, even though his blunt response ruffled your feathers, he nailed all your queries succinctly.  One tip:  use the search function to glean info from prior posts before posting.  Chances are, you're not the first newbee to ask and often you'll answer your own question.  If you still have questions, they'll be more focused and will enable folks to give you better advice.  We've all got a lot to learn, that's why we're here.  Hang in there.  In no time you'll find you have answers for other beeks on here.

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:52:06 pm »
AHB?
African Hillbilly Behavior?

African Honey Bee.  Wait..., dang it, I just bit on a bad pun didn't I?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
In reality, it's "All Hell Brokeloose"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:25:42 pm »
Have you done a searcd on Beemaster on  trap outs  :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:27:33 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Nathen

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 10:30:58 pm »
In this specific case, I would recommend the sticky over a general search.  All the links are in one place and arranged in a logical order.  Makes it much easier to follow.  They're kind of a jumbled mess if you try to follow them through the search function.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20301.0.html
-Nathen