Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Last Inspection Today.  (Read 1304 times)

Offline harvey

• House Bee
My Last Inspection Today.
« on: July 05, 2009, 05:23:40 pm »
Hi All,  Well couldn't wait till the twelth!  It has been a week since I put the second deep brood box on and just had to take a peak.  A friend of mine who is a real beek (this is my first hive), came over and went through the hive with me.  Didn't see the queen but did see eggs, larva, capped brood, capped honey, un-capped honey, pollen and two queen cells being made on the bottom of one of the frames.  The bee's had almost half of the new plasticoat frames in the second (top) deep brood pulled with wax.  Really cool and pretty white wax.  Some of that had capped honey in it.  Didn't sample it and now regret that.  My friend told me to hold off on the super till the end of the month.  He also saw my thistle growing and kinda crowed on how much the bees will like that.  Almost three acreas of pretty purple right now.   Ok so I will leave the bees along till the end of July.  Might be tuff but I will.  Then I will look gently and hopefully add my first super.  Oh and he said they hadn't made any drone cells??  guess that is good right?    He also told me that there was no longer a need to feed them so I will quite that for now.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
Re: My Last Inspection Today.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:47:22 pm »
Sounds like you are in great shape to me!  You are very fortunate to have someone to come by in person to help.  If it wasn't for this board and the patience of the veterans here answering all my questions I don't think my hives would be doing near as well.

All the books are great for telling you how to set up a hive, but when it comes to managing them they all fall short IMO.

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: My Last Inspection Today.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:54:50 pm »
 Ok so I will leave the bees along till the end of July.  Might be tuff but I will. 

One of the best ways to learn about bees is to get into the hive and watch what they are doing and learn from them.  Don't think that you can't get in there and watch them once in a while.  You may need to wait to add another super, but by all means... open up the hive and watch them occasionally.  I never go a full month between inspections.  About the longest I've left a hive alone is 2 weeks.  Good luck and have fun with it :lol: