Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive placement and spacing  (Read 2172 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
hive placement and spacing
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:16:06 pm »
ive looked all over the web and read some books on placement and spacing . what is evey1 doing? i heard to face the entrance to the south or southeast. and how far apart do they need to be? i live on an acre how many hives could i have?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: hive placement and spacing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »
The pollinators will have 4 hives per pallet. Most hobbyist around here set them 2-3 feet apart (enough so they can work in between.) Ours are set in groups of 3 with about 20 feet between groups (in rows) and 30 feet between rows.  No real logic - just what we did. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
I make sure that mine are as far apart as my hive tool is long.  That way I can get into the hives that are of different hights. Otherwise it is difficult to get into a small hive between two tall hives.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:57:10 am »
This photo i took today of the back of my work!
Its just a 25 minute drive from the CBD of Melbourne. I have 18 hives which includes the Nuc's
in this area. The bees have to fly straight up over 2 stories to get out. It works well and they are doing so
much better than the hives I have in the country. Photo gives you an idea how close they are.

Ben

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 07:07:49 am »
I bet you don't have to worry about any non beeks sneaking into your back yard!  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:20:38 am »
Great pic Ben.  Love it. 

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:20 am »
Wow, great example of an innovative location!
No worries about varmints getting at your hives either!  :)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 02:51:36 pm »
Good pic's Ben.  Bet you don't have to worry about breakins on that side of house either.  Was thinking the other day about having bees in town, sure there are things out in the country that may not bee in town.  But with all the peoples yards with flowers and trees, the bees probably can get as much or more nectar and pollen that out in the country.  Good luck to you and your bees.

I like my hives 2 to 3 feet apart, just easy to get around and inspect.

Joe