Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: package of italians arrive April 15  (Read 1670 times)

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
package of italians arrive April 15
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »
For those of you who might have ordered a package or three from Beez Neez in Snohomish, Washington:

Just got off the phone with Jim, they'll be here on the 15th.  I have two more weekends to finish the fence and the hives...

I sure hope the weather that week is better than last year (snow).

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
Re: package of italians arrive April 15
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:27:51 pm »
LOL....I just got off the phone with Jim a couple minutes ago too! I feel like a new father waiting for the baby to be delivered  :-D

Does it ever get any better? Or does this disease just get worse?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:43:17 pm »
It gets better,    er, worse,.... er, better. Dang, the addiction gets stronger.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:05:57 pm »
I'm pretty new to this, but it's very addictive.  I'm hoping to grow the hives up to as many as I can take care of, and am done buying frames and boxes - I have a small sawmill and woodshop, and plan to start making my own hives this summer.  If things go well, I may even try to get a split this year.  That would be beyond cool!  If not, I'll get another package next spring, then splitsville, baby!

I've got enough parts now for 7 mediums, and top/bottoms for two hives.  I'm going to install the package in a medium, then add until I get 4 mediums, meanwhile set up the other hive as a swarm lure and see if I catch anything.  If not, and the first hive supports it, I'll do a split.

I think the hive that the bear destroyed last year might have found a place to hide out for the winter - in ten years, I've never - ever - seen a honeybee up here until I started beekeeping.  We had a few days of warmish (50-55 degre) days a few weeks ago, and I saw two honeybees on the deck.  I hope the original hive survived, but it could also be that someone else nearby started up a hive last year.

Can you tell how addictive it is?  I find it fascinating.

Hang on to your wallet....  :evil:
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:44:01 am »
I hear ya Tim, about hanging onto the wallet. I've got a couple other hobbies that dig into it pretty well too.
This is my first year beekeeping. I took the class at Beez Neez and have studied lots on the internet and read a book or two. There is just something really fascinating about the whole thing.
I've spent the past couple weeks building hives and other associated stuff. I've built 6 deeps, and 4 mediums, two hive stands, 2 screened bottom boards, two telescoping covers, inside hive jar feeders, and one slatted bottom rack just to see if I could. I have enough lumber left to build about a dozen more mediums or deeps.I scored on a craigslist add a few weeks ago for 2'x4' 3/4" pine panels @ $5 a pop. Each one has enough wood to make 1 deep, or 1-1/2 mediums. The guy had a couple hundred of them but I only got a dozen to see how well they worked out. I also scored an old honey extractor sans the innards for $25 on craigslist, and have plans to fabricate the insides when I get the time.
Tonight I got a $4.50 piece of metal strap at Lowes and made up a frame perch for sitting frames on while doing hive checks. They sell online for nearly $20. Maybe that's part of why I'm so hooked. I love to make stuff that has a real practical use.
Now the countdown begins. "T" minus 12 days and counting until the packages arrive. Never in a million years did I think I'd go to sleep at night thinking about bees...............ha.    8-)

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:21 am »
I spoke to Jim as well.  He still has some packages left......

:-D

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933