Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless brood frames  (Read 3244 times)

Offline nella

• House Bee
Foundationless brood frames
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:13:39 am »
Should you put  horizontal wire in the brood frames if you don't use foundation?
  Thanks  Nella

Offline Big John

• House Bee
Re: Foundationless brood frames
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:39 am »
I use all foundation less frames and wire all my frames horizontal, it helps the comb be more stable while new, the bees will incorporate the wire into the comb and it will not be a problem.
"Semper Fi"

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:18:09 pm »
Just curious...and without opening a big debate on the merits, is the decision to go foundationless for convenience/to save money, or is it a modified "natural bee-top bar hive" philosophy?
-Mike

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »
Just curious...and without opening a big debate on the merits, is the decision to go foundationless for convenience/to save money, or is it a modified "natural bee-top bar hive" philosophy?

It is to allow a "more natural" approach

I wire all by foundationless frames as well.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:02:20 pm »
When you wire them, are they basically wired as if you were going to embed some wax foundation?
-Mike

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 04:00:49 pm »
When you wire them, are they basically wired as if you were going to embed some wax foundation?

That is how I do it,  but you could probably get away with less wires if you wanted.   The top wire is the most critical.  Once they build the comb around the first wire,  the chance of comb failure is substantially reduce.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:45:30 pm »
I'd be interested in trying it.  I was doing a personal test between Plasticel and medium wax in my brood boxes and my first observations were that the bees built out the wax quicker.  I'd like to try going foundationless in a hive sometime and see how they do.
-Mike

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »
>Should you put  horizontal wire in the brood frames if you don't use foundation?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm#dowire
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin